How to deposit
Details on how to register, choose a Collection, and deposit data in the repository.
Register for DataShare
- Point a browser window to Edinburgh DataShare (link below).
- Once there, find "My Account" (top right-hand menu) and click on "Register."
- Use your University login credentials and wait for confirmation email.
* N.B. only University of Edinburgh members with University login credentials are eligible to deposit data to DataShare. Visitors and collaborators may apply to create a Friend account.
Choose a DataShare Collection
All new DataShare items (i.e. datasets) must be deposited into a Collection.
A Collection may contain more than one item (dataset) relating to a research area, theme or group.
Collections are further grouped into Communities which usually reflects projects, Schools and organisational units within the University.
The hierarchical structure in DataShare is:
Item > Collection > Community
The aim of grouping datasets in Collections and Communities is to help users find and browse related datasets. When submitting your data to DataShare you should identify a suitable collection to hold your data. If none exists then we can easily set up a new collection for you (see instructions below).
- Browse the "Research Communities" (underneath "Browse" in right-hand bar/tab) and expand to find available collections.
- Send a message to the DataShare team (email@example.com) indicating the collection you wish to deposit your data in (an existing or new collection).
- If you need a new collection, provide: a title, a description and an image (optional).
- A member of the DataShare team will send you an email confirming you have permission to deposit to the relevant collection.
How to deposit a data item
- Log into your account. Navigate to the appropriate collection and click on "Deposit data." You may also use the "Deposit data" button on the DataShare homepage, but your item will be held in the ‘default’ collection and must be moved to an appropriate collection after it is approved.
- Describe your item. Complete as many metadata fields as possible. During the submission process you may "Save & Exit" at any time, or continue to the "Next" step. You may return to previously saved items by clicking on "Submissions" (under "My Account").
- Upload your item. Include all the data files and documentation needed to make the data understandable and re-usable. * N.B. large files (>15 GB) may produce an error message in the browser. If this happens, please contact the Research Data Support team. If you have more than 20 GB of data to share, please contact the Research Data Support team to discuss options.
- Review your item. Check the item metadata, data files and documentation files, and correct any errors.
- Choose your licence. The recommended licence is Creative Commons Attribution 4.0. International, but you may choose to provide another open data licence instead.
- Submit your item. When your item is ready click on "Complete submission" and wait for confirmation. An administrator will moderate your submission. Once your item is approved, a persistent identifier (DOI) will be issued.
Download Edinburgh DataShare User's Guide, a 4-page step by step guide, with screenshots:
Consultancy and support
Our team can guide you through the submission process, just contact us for an appointment or telephone consultation.
If you wish to discuss your requirements or how to deposit large files or a large number of files please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Things to consider before depositing
Edinburgh DataShare's Checklist for deposit