The library is now able to issue International Book Standard Numbers (ISBNs) to any staff members or students who are writing a book, pamphlet, report, or other one-off publication.
Applying for ISBNs
‘The University of Edinburgh’ is registered as a publisher with the UK ISBN Agency and we have available a quantity of ISBNs. To apply for an ISBN, check that your document meets the eligibity criteria, and then if you have all the information required follow the link below to our application form.
- The applicant is a current staff member or student of the University of Edinburgh, and has significant input into the creation of the work.
- ‘The University of Edinburgh’ is clearly marked as the publisher of the work.
- Publication meets the requirements for allocating an ISBN as stated by the UK ISBN agency (https://www.nielsenisbnstore.com/Home/Isbn)
Before an ISBN can be activated, we also have to register the publication with the UK ISBN agency. The minimum information required for registration and therefore the information necessary to complete our application form is:
- Subject: this is based on the BIC categories, of which up to 4 can be selected (see link below)
- Target Audience: We will assume the default is: Postgraduate, Research & Scholarly
- Expected date of publication: dd/mm/yyyy
- Expected price: (default is £0)
The list of available BIC subject categories can be seen at: https://ns.editeur.org/bic_categories
How to apply
If your documents meets the criteria, send us your details via our application form or email (firstname.lastname@example.org):
Legal Deposit for print books is mandatory for publishers based in the UK and Ireland. Further details of how to deposit publications can be found at: http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/stratpolprog/legaldep