UKRI Open Access Policy consultation
UKRI is seeking views and evidence on its proposed open access policy via a consultation.
UKRI has announced its proposed Plan S aligned open access policy to be introduced later in 2020. The key points to note are:
- UKRI affirms its commitment to Plan S.
- The current REF 2021 policy is not changed.
- Research articles and conference proceedings with an ISSN need to be immediately open access from 1 January 2022 (either by gold OA or zero-embargo green OA), with a CC BY licence.
- Monographs, book chapters, and edited collections, will have to be open access from 1 January 2024 unless a contract has been signed before that date.
- UKRI is considering sanctions for non-compliance.
How to submit feedback
UKRI is seeking views and evidence on its proposed open access policy via a consultation. The consultation opened on 13 February 2020 and will close at noon on 29 May 2020. Library Research Support (LRS), in conjunction with Edinburgh Research Office (ERO) and Governance and Strategic Planning (GaSP), will co-ordinate the University's response to the consultation. To help inform the University's submission we would like to hear from you whether you support the initiative or have concerns about any aspects of the implementation. You can contribute your views either by attending one of the open meetings that we are setting up, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or submitting feedback via the online form below. The University of Edinburgh deadline to submit feedback is 15th May 2020.
To raise awareness of the policy change and to make sure that we understand the full impact on our academic staff and postgraduate students we run a series of five online open meetings. The first one was recorded and it is available now online here: https://media.ed.ac.uk/media/1_w6pj0qz9.