The Library holds the bulk of the University's law collections, specialising in Scots, UK, international and Commonwealth law.
It is also a designated European Documentation Centre.
Law Library, David Hume Tower, George Square, Edinburgh EH8 9JX
Access and opening hours
Staff and students of the University of Edinburgh have full access and borrowing rights.
Law Library return to Old College
The move of the Law Library to Old College will commence from Thursday 3 January 2019.
The Law Library in DHT will close at 4 pm on Friday 11 January 2019 and will open in Old College at 9 am on Monday 14 January 2019.
Law Library opening hours during the move:
- Thursday 3 – Friday 4 January: 9 am – 5 pm
- Saturday 5 – Sunday 6 January: closed
- Monday 7 January – Thursday 10 January: 9 am – 8 pm
- Friday 11 January 9 am – 4 pm
- Saturday 12 January – Sunday 13 January: closed
There will inevitably be some noise and disruption while the move is ongoing, although we will do all that we can to minimise this. In particular, please note the following:
- There will be plenty of alternative study space and pc availability in the Main Library during this period, including over the two weekends that the Law Library is closed.
- While parts of the collection are being moved they will be temporarily unavailable. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience this may cause, and would ask that (if at all possible) users identify and borrow items they may require in advance of the move.
- The Interlibrary loans service is another means of obtaining material you may require. See: Inter-Library Loans.
- The Reserve Collection will continue to be available as normal, until the Law Library in DHT closes at 4 pm on Friday 11 January.
If you have any queries regarding the Law Library move or its impact please contact the IS Helpline.
British Sign Language support
A video relay service is available, enabling British Sign Language users to contact public bodies and vice-versa.
This service operates from 8am to 12 midnight, 7 days a week.
Please visit https://contactscotland-bsl.org for full details.