Information Services


Edinburgh University Library is a member of the Scottish Confederation of University and Research Libraries ( SCURL). Staff and postgraduate research students from any other SCURL institution can get free membership of the Library. This is a reciprocal agreement. Please see information below.

Library Membership

From Monday 7th February 2022 University of Edinburgh Libraries are fully open to all categories of external membership.

Please apply to access the library by e-mailing: (Please include in your email your existing card reference number starting ‘200..’ if applicable).

We will reply to you with important information for access within 7 days. Please wait for our reply before visiting our libraries.*

*We may not be able to process your membership if you do not follow these steps.*





Scotland's Rural College (formerly known as Scottish Agricultural College)

University of Edinburgh Library has a separate reciprocal agreement with Scotland's Rural College (SRUC) . Staff and students from SRUC should join the Library through this agreement.

All others

Other participating institutions in SCURL are the two major public reference libraries in Glasgow and Edinburgh, the National Library of Scotland, National Museums Scotland and the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.

National Museums of Scotland libraries

National Library of Scotland

Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh

Membership Notes
External borrower Free. Membership lasts maximum of 3 years or expiry date on SCURL Research Extra card if sooner.

What do I need to bring?

Please bring the appropriate ID as outlined below. You will be unable to register unless you have all the requested documentation.

Participating Scottish institutions

Please see information about required documentation and ID on joining the library via the SCONUL Access scheme:

Scotland's Rural College (formerly known as Scottish Agricultural College)

Please see information about required documentation and ID on joining the library via the reciprocal agreement with SRUC:

All others

Membership Documentation
External borrower Student or staff ID card AND SCURL Research Extra card*

* You must apply for your SCURL Research Extra card at your home library. Both your student/staff ID card and SCURL Research Extra card must be current and valid. If your student/staff ID card does not have your photo on it then photographic ID must also be provided.

What does my card entitle me to?

Details of what your card entitles you to at the University Library can be found on the following page:


Your library card can be used in the Main Library and all site libraries. Access to departmental or class libraries is not available.

Library opening hours

Library locations

Replacement cards (lost, stolen or expired)

If your external borrower's card is lost, stolen or damaged you can get it replaced at a card helpdesk for a £10 fee.

If your card expires you must apply for a new one. To do this you must register with the library again and provide the required documentation as detailed above. All required documentation must be provided.

Replacement cards

Reference only access

If you are not wishing to borrow items from the library then you can join the library as a reference user (consultation only). This would require you to join as a member of the public.

Joining library as member of the public

Privacy Notice for Library Self-Registration

This privacy notice explains what personal information the University holds about those joining as library members. It explains why we hold this information, what we do with it, how long we keep it for and if we share it with third parties.

Privacy Notice for Library Self-Registration