Information Services

Proof of identity

For the purposes of safety and security of our users and collections, before we can issue a library card to anyone who is not a member of the University of Edinburgh or registered as an official visitor, we have to see proof of identity (ID) and confirmation of address.

Members of the University and official visitors must carry their University Card or University Visitor's Card with them at all times in order to confirm their identity on request.

Visitors to Edinburgh University Library

For those registering as external users, other appropriate ID (see list below) must be produced in order to register as a Library user. We require to see two documents: one which includes a recent photograph (such as a passport or driver's licence). Additionally, one which includes your name and current address (such as a utilities bill or bank statement - no more than three months old). Digital proof of address will only be accepted from a current web page.


Students and staff from other Institutions

Students from other Universities should present their current valid matriculation card along with proof of name and current address. Students from member institutions where reciprocal access schemes are in operation (such as SCONUL Access) will be expected to be in possession of the relevant scheme e-mail/card as part of their ID. If no reciprocal access scheme e-mail/card is held - full ID will be required.

Members of the NHS should present their current NHS ID card.


Information on reciprocal access schemes

Documents we can accept as part of your proof of identity

For photograph:

  • Current full UK driving licence
  • Current signed passport
  • National identification card
  • Institutional ID

For proof of name and current address:

  • Recent bank or credit card statement (up to 3 months old)
  • Recent utilities bill (up to 3 months old)
  • Recent payslip with address (up to 3 months old)
  • Police registration document (up to 3 months old)
  • Letter of introduction or personal introduction from University of Edinburgh
  • Building society passbook (with recent updates)

Documents presented which are not listed above may not be accepted as proof of identity.

Please note that we do not accept the following as proof of address:

  • Leases