Short term library laptop loans service
Laptops for short term use can be issued from our Library Helpdesks for students.
Laptops are available for borrowing from the following libraries.
Laptops can be borrowed from the Helpdesk in each of the libraries listed above. In addition, in the Main Library students can issue laptops to themselves using the self-service laptop cabinet located in the High Use Books (HUB) collection.
Many buildings in the University have multiple wireless access points ensuring that students can be more flexible with their study patterns and not be restricted to using the 'fixed' Open Access Labs.
In order to use the laptops, students should register for University of Edinburgh wireless and VPN services.
Laptops must be returned to the library from which they were borrowed.
All laptops come with a carry case, power cable, adaptor and information sheet.
How to renew laptops?
Your laptop will be automatically renewed for up to 28 days from the initial issue date unless your account has been blocked. Renewals may not be possible during periods of high demand.
Your laptop may also be renewed by yourself for up to 28 days from the initial issue date via your DiscoverEd library account.
- Click on 'Sign in'.
- Click on the 'University Login Users' option.
- Once signed in, click on the drop down arrow next to your name and choose 'My Account'.
- You will be shown your personal library account which will include any items you have on loan.
- Click on 'Loans' and choose your laptop to 'Renew'.
- Note the due date of your laptop that has been renewed.
Why can't I renew my laptop?
- You cannot renew your laptop if you have an overdue recalled item on your library account.
- You cannot renew your laptop if you have fines of over £20 on your library account.
- You cannot renew your laptop if you have already borrowed it for the maximum loan period (up to 28 days).
Are there other ways to renew my laptop?
If you do not have the laptop with you, you can renew it at a Library Helpdesk up to three times (for a total loan period of 28 days). You must have your University of Edinburgh card with you to do this.
Terms and conditions
Short Term Laptop Loan Service
- Laptops can be borrowed for 7 days at a time and will be automatically renewed for a maximum of 28 days from initial issue date unless your library account has been blocked.
- The laptop is for your sole use and must not be transferred.
- Fines will be charged for late return of £6 per day or part thereof, so make sure to leave enough time to return it.
- Return laptop and all loaned accessories to the library desk you borrowed them from by the due date.**
- Any correspondence will be sent by email to your sms University account.
- Theft, loss or damage to the laptop or accessories may result in charges for repair, or replacement costs.
- You are responsible for the safety and security of the laptop and accessories whilst the machine is on loan to you. Please do not leave it unattended.
**Note: at Main Library Reception there is a limited capacity to store laptops brought for return when the Helpdesk is closed. These cannot be renewed and will remain on your library record until checked and discharged by Helpdesk staff. You will not be able to issue another laptop until this is done.