Medium and long term laptop loan service for students in hardship
Laptops are available for both medium and long term loans.
In order to support the move to hybrid teaching, the University is supporting undergraduate and postgraduate students who are most in need with medium and long term laptop loans. The loans are focused on those who do not have a device or their current device does not support teaching requirements.
The laptops are available to those who are:
- care leavers
- acting as a carer
- in receipt of a University bursary based on household income
- in receipt of discretionary and hardship funds
- currently working from a tablet or phone to access lectures and teaching material
- in severe financial difficulty unable to purchase or repair a laptop
The laptop loan system is for the purpose of providing a working primary device and not about upgrading from your existing device or obtaining a second device. We do not issue laptops to students who require particular software for a course. This laptop scheme is in place to help those who are most in need.
To be considered, please contact your local school student support, or Personal Tutor, or the EUSA Advice Place. The staff member should then send a nomination on your behalf to Edhelp using this form, stating the details of the user they are nominating and the reasoning. Students cannot self nominate.
We aim to process laptop requests within a week, but there may be a delay during busier periods at the beginning of each semester. We will process requests as soon as we can and notify both the student and member of staff who placed the nomination when a laptop is ready for collection. Users are normally required to collect the laptop from the Main Library. We are unable to ship laptops internationally. Please do not come to collect the laptop until you have been notified by email that it is ready.
If you have any queries, please contact the EdHelp team who are there to assist you.
Terms and Conditions
By borrowing a medium/long term laptop, you are agreeing to the below terms and conditions:
- Laptops on loan remain the property of the University of Edinburgh. We reserve the right to recall the laptop if required.
- You will be expected to return the laptop and accessories at the end of the current Academic Year, or at the end of your time as a matriculated student at the University if you cease to be a student before the end of the Academic Year.
- At the end of the loan period, you will be will be expected to return your laptop and accessories to University premises and will be emailed guidance on how to do this.
- The laptop is for your sole use and must not be transferred.
- Any correspondence relating to laptop loans will be sent by email to your University account.
- You are responsible for the safety and security of the laptop and accessories whilst the machine is on loan to you. Please do not leave it unattended.
- Theft, loss or damage to the laptop or accessories may result in charges for repair, or replacement costs.
- You must report any damage, theft or loss of the laptop or accessories to the EdHelp Team as soon as you become aware of a problem. It may not always be possible to issue you a replacement, so please look after your laptop
- You may only borrow one lending laptop. Users of medium/long term laptops cannot simultaneously borrow short term library laptops.