The HUB Collection
The High Use Books (HUB) collection, located on the Ground Floor of the Main Library, comprises the most highly used lending books. Further information about the HUB is provided on this page.
What is the HUB Collection?
The purpose of the HUB is to provide users with convenient, easy and extensive access to highly used books, whether for learning, teaching or research.
- The HUB collection comprises HUB Reserve and HUB Short Loan books.
- The books are interfiled in one sequence and arranged by subject.
- HUB Short Loan books can be renewed for up to four months (provided there are no requests placed upon them).
- No renewals or requests are allowed for HUB Reserve books.
- The HUB collection also comprises DVDs.
- DVDs are interfiled in the book collection arranged by subject.
|Material/lending type||Loan period||Fines|
|HUB Reserve*||3 hour/overnight*||2p per minute|
|HUB Short Loan||7 days||40p per day|
|DVDs||7 days||40p per day|
Alternative book holdings
Please note that the HUB collection represents only a small proportion of the rich and diverse collections of the University Library: there may be more copies of your book, or different books on the same subject, on upper floors of the Main Library or at another site library. In some instances, the book you want may be available electronically as an e-book.
The HUB collection is available at all times the Library is open; however, after staffed hours it is only open to those with swipe cards.
Issuing and Returning
University of Edinburgh staff and students and NHS Lothian staff who are registered with the Library may borrow from the HUB collection.
- Please use self-issue machines to issue books and offprints before taking them out of the HUB area, even if you are intending to read them in the Library.
- Please use the self-return machines to return HUB books and offprints.
In addition to the self-issue machines, there are photocopiers and DiscoverEd search points provided in the HUB area. There are no study places.
IS Helpdesk staff are happy to help you in your use of the HUB collection. There is a help point near the entrance/exit to the HUB area.