How long can I borrow a book for?
DiscoverEd will tell you the location and loan period for a book.
Using DiscoverEd to find a book
DiscoverEd will provide information on:
- Which Library holds the book (Location)
- What the loan period is (Standard Loan, Short Loan, and Reserve)
- The shelfmark of the book
- How many copies of the book the Library holds
- Whether or not the book is out (On loan/Available)
Reserve books may be borrowed for 3 hours during the day, or overnight if issued before closing time. Please check with Helpdesk staff as borrowing times may vary from library to library.
In the Main Library HUB Reserve books can be borrowed overnight till the next day at the following times (please check the return time on your borrowing slip):
- Monday-Thursday after 7pm
- Friday after 4pm
- Saturday after 2pm
- Sunday after 4pm
These times will change during the Summer vacation
Short Loan or HUB Short Loan books may be borrowed for 1 week *
Standard Loan books may be borrowed for:
- 4 weeks by Undergraduates and other categories of users*
- 12 weeks by Postgraduates, University staff and NHS Lothian staff*
* Please note that Short Loan and Standard Loan books can be requested back from you by other users. If another user requests a Short Loan item from you, you will be unable to renew the item beyond its due date. In the case of Standard Loan items, the loan period will be shortened to one week from when it is requested by another user. For more information on this please go to:
Books may be renewed if they have not been requested by another user.
- Standard Loan books can be renewed for up to 6 months from the initial issue date by undergraduates, alumni and external borrowers before they need to be returned to the issuing Library. Staff and postgraduates can renew Standard Loan books for up to 18 months from the initial issue date.
- Short Loan or HUB Short Loan books can be renewed for up to 4 months before they need to be returned to the issuing Library.
If you have any queries about loan periods: