How long can I borrow a book for?
DiscoverEd will tell you the location and loan period for a book.
Using DiscoverEd to find a book
DiscoverEd will provide information on:
- Which Library holds the book (Location)
- What the loan period is (Standard Loan, Short Loan, and Reserve)
- The shelfmark of the book
- How many copies of the book the Library holds
- Whether or not the book is out (On loan/Available)
Reserve, Short Loan or HUB Short Loan books may be borrowed for 1 week *
Standard Loan books may be borrowed for:
- 4 weeks by Undergraduates and other categories of users*
- 12 weeks by Postgraduates, University staff and NHS Lothian staff*
* Please note that Reserve, Short Loan and Standard Loan books can be requested back from you by other users. If another user requests a Reserve, Short Loan item from you, you will be unable to renew the item beyond its due date. In the case of Standard Loan items, the loan period will be shortened to one week from when it is requested by another user. For more information on this please go to:
Books may be renewed if they have not been requested by another user.
- All books (Standard Loan; Short Loan; HUB Short Loan and Reserve) can be renewed for up to 36 months from the initial issue date before they need to be returned to the issuing Library.
If you have any queries about loan periods: