Click & Collect (Main Library, University Collections Facility, New College Library)
The Click & Collect service is available to all University staff and students from 8 February 2021. A maximum of 3 items can be requested at any one time. Full details of how to request and collect items are provided on the Click & Collect web page.
Click & Collect Service Highlights
- A new Click & Collect Service is available from 8 February 2021.
- The Click & Collect service is available to all University staff and students.
- Requests can be made for items held in the Main Library's General Collections and for items held at the University Collections Facility.
- All requested items are collected from the Main Library Click & Collect desk located in the area to the left as your enter the building, and before the card operated access control gates. Items can only be collected after you have received a confirmation email and you have made a booking to collect your item(s). Details of booking slots will be provided when you receive the confirmation email noting that your requested item is available.
- Collection hours are Monday - Friday 10:00 – 16:30, and Saturday - Sunday 12:15 to 16:30. You must make a Click & Collect booking to collect your item(s). Only 1 collection slot should be booked per day- you do not need to make a separate booking for each item because you can collect multiple items on one visit. Please cancel any bookings you have made but do not need in order to release them to other users.
- A maximum of 3 items can be requested at any one time.
- Items returned to the Library will be placed in quarantine areas for 72 hours before being made available again.
1st March - Update for New College Library
From 1 March 2021 University of Edinburgh staff and students will be able to place Click & Collect requests for New College Library collections. Click & Collect is also available for Main Library and University Collections Facilities. Items based at other site libraries are not currently available for Click & Collect.
- New College Library Click & Collect requests should be placed on DiscoverEd.
- A maximum of 3 Click & Collect requests can be placed at any time. The maximum number of requests covers your total current Click & Collect requests for items based at the Main Library, University Collections Facility and New College Library.
- Requested New College Library items will be available for collection from the Main Library.
- New College Library at 40, George Square remains closed.
- Staff will undertake a weekly retrieval of requested New College Library items on Wednesdays. Depending on when you place your request this means that it may take over a week for you to receive notification that your requested item is available for a collection slot to be booked.
- Once you have received notification that your requested New College Library item is available you must make a booking to collect your item from the Main Library. Details of how to book a collection slot are provided below and on the notification email you’ll receive once your item is ready for a collection booking to be made.
What is Click & Collect?
While current government restrictions require that we suspend browsing access to our print collections we are putting in place a Click & Collect service.
Who can request what?
Click & Collect is a service for University staff and students to request items in standard loan, short loan and reserve collections from the Main Library and University Collections Facility.
We are looking at whether in the future we can expand the Click & Collect service to allow access to our site library collections.
Why are some items unavailable?
Working with Health & Safety teams we have developed a Book Handling Protocol to enable safe handling of our Library books. Items returned to the Library will be placed in quarantine areas for 72 hours before being made available to users. Items which display on DiscoverEd as ‘Unavailable until …’ are in quarantine and cannot be requested until they are available again and display as ‘Item in Place’.
Items may also be unavailable because they are on loan to other users and will appear in DiscoverEd as ‘On Loan’.
How do I make a request?
Requests can be placed on DiscoverEd.
Items that can be requested will display a ‘Click & Collect’ option in the record on DiscoverEd. You must be signed in to DiscoverEd to be able to place a request.
Please note, not all items are available to be requested.
- Only items with a status “Item in Place” should be requested.
- Items currently “On Loan” cannot be requested.
How will I know my item is ready to collect?
When your item is ready to collect, you will receive an email notification to your University email account. The email will include details of how to make a booking to collect your item. You will not be able to collect your item until you receive your email confirmation and make a booking to collect your item.
You must make a Click & Collect booking to collect your item(s). Only 1 collection slot should be booked per day- you do not need to make a separate booking for each item because you can collect multiple items on one visit.
Your item will be held for 10 days from when you receive the email confirmation.
As this service requires new approaches to respond to the current ‘stay at home’ restrictions there may be delays in some items being made available for collection.
How long will I have to wait for an email confirmation?
This is a new service and we expect high demand. We are not able to provide a set timeframe for processing your request but we will be working hard to ensure you receive a confirmation email as soon as possible.
Why do I need to book a collection slot?
We require you to make a booking, using the booking form advertised in your email confirmation (a link is provided to the booking form), so that we can prepare your book(s) for collection, and also to regulate the number of people collecting books at any one time, for your safety and that of our staff. If you are unable to book please contact EdHelp.
You do not need to make a separate booking for each item because you can collect multiple items on one visit. Please cancel any bookings you have made by do not need in order to release them to other users.
You will receive an email confirming your booking to your University email account, and reminder emails nearer the time.
What if I need to change my booking slot?
You can cancel and amend bookings by following the link to manage your booking in your booking confirmation email.
Where do I collect my item?
Once notified that your Click & Collect item is ready to collect and you have made a collection booking, come to the Main Library. As you enter the building through the external glass doors, you will see on the left, an area signposted to Click & Collect. Note: this area is located at the entrance of the library and before the card operated door access control gates.
Bring with you your Click & Collect email notification and confirmation of your booking slot on your phone, other device or in print.
Collection opening hours are:
- Monday - Friday 10:00 – 16:30
- Saturday - Sunday 12:15 – 16:30
If asked by University Facilities or Security staff outside the Library, please indicate that you are at the Library for the Click & Collect service and you will be directed to the relevant entrance.
To limit the number of users inside the building you may be asked to queue outside the Main Library, following social distancing guidelines.
Distancing measures are in place inside the building to ensure you can maintain a two metre distance from staff and other library users at all times.
You must wear a face covering inside the Main Library, including when collecting Click & Collect items.
What is the collection process?
- The Click & Collect desk is within the Main Library. As you enter the building through the external glass doors, you will see on the left, an area signposted to Click & Collect. Note: this area is located at the entrance of the library and before the card operated door access control gates.
- When you reach the front of the queue staff will ask to see your University card and will then collect your books for you.
- Please note that your books will already be issued to you so will be passed to you immediately. Only request books through Click & Collect if you are happy for the books to be issued to your Library account by Library staff in advance of collection.
- Any books not collected within 10 days of your receiving your email confirmation will be removed from your Library account and returned to our bookshelves.
What other facilities are available in the Main Library?
Access to the Main Library is restricted and, unless you have made a booking for a study space, you will have access only to collect your item and return your Library books via the self-return machine in the entrance area adjacent to the Welcome Desk.
Staff at the Click & Collect desk can only provide requested items. Any other enquiries should be referred to the Edhelp desk where we are providing a remote service.
No café or refreshments will be available in the Library.
I have a question
To enquire about an existing Click & Collect request, or to ask about another aspect of the Click & Collect service, please contact us using EdHelp.
Access to online resources
The Library provides access to a wide range of online resources, available through DiscoverEd:
- 1.4 million ebooks
- 185,000 ejournals
- 700 licensed databases
- 84,000 streaming videos
- 160,000 Open Access resources