Library Services Update
Information about using Library services in 2022/23.
This page will be kept up to date with information about Library & University Collections facilities and services.
Using the Library in 2022/23
All Covid rules and restrictions have been lifted in Scotland. Read the latest guidance:
We are asking our whole University community to play your part and help stop the spread of Covid-19.
Main Library Edhelp Service Desk open Sundays 12-5pm during Summer vacation
The Edhelp Service Desk will be open 12-5pm on Sundays. We are piloting this service in order to gauge user demand over the vacation period.
For more information about EdHelp and Library opening hours, please follow links below.
EdHelp - http://www.ed.ac.uk/edhelp
Library opening hours - https://www.ed.ac.uk/information-services/library-museum-gallery/using-library/library-opening
We’re working on collections projects this summer to get the New College Library collections ready for moving back into the Library at Mound Place. We are now planning the next steps of our project to carry out the re-labelling and re-sequencing of New College Library collections to provide a single Library of Congress sequence. We expect that this will make it easier for everyone to find and use the library collections
To carry out the re-labelling and re-sequencing we will need to temporarily suspend access to some collection floors in 40 George Square. Dates are still to be confirmed but we expect access to some floors of the Library will be suspended from 1st August 2022 and that this will last into September, with all floors re-opening by the start of semester in September.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you collect any library items you know you may require before the end of July.
- Please look out for floor closure notices in the building.
- We may be able to retrieve books from closed areas in response to urgent requests, but not all items will be available at all times as items are packed, moved and unpacked.
- It is expected that there will be no access to New College Library journals during the collections work. If you require access to particular journals during August please let staff at New College Library know by 29th July and it may be possible to ensure these journals remain available.
For more information about New College Library please see the New College Library page.
Your University student card is also your library card, you will need it to access library buildings and borrow print materials. Please use the links below to find updated information on how to request and receive your card.
If you have a question about joining the library as an External user please see the Joining the Library page.
Study spaces on a walk up basis are available across all library sites. There are also a small number of bookable study spaces on the 3rd and 5th floors of the Main Library in George Square.
For more information on study spaces please use the links below.
Face coverings are no longer legally required in indoor spaces, however the Scottish Government strongly recommend that you continue to wear a face covering in crowded and enclosed spaces.
We encourage staff and students to continue to wear a face covering in indoor or communal areas on our campuses - for example in corridors, study spaces and libraries , on-campus shops, cafes and restaurants, unless seated to eat or drink - and when required for local health and safety practices.
Thank you for helping us keep everyone safe
We recognise that some students will be required to quarantine, or self-isolate in their accommodation throughout term.
The Library can offer services which may support students during this time. Please visit our Library support for self-isolating students page for more information.
Library Updates Newsletter Library Updates is a monthly online newsletter, sharing the latest news on library services, resources and projects.
The SCONUL Access scheme reopened on Monday 15 November, 2021.
Although most member libraries will continue to participate in the scheme, some have not yet reopened to all users. Please check with each library before you visit.
For more information, please follow links below.
Frequently Used Services
- Library Opening Hours
- Finding Resources
- Borrowing books and other resources
- Returns, fines and notices
- Interlibrary Loans
- Request A Book
- Centre for Research Collections
Library opening hours may have to change in response to adverse weather or the COVID-19 situation. Please check our web pages before you visit, and for the latest updates, follow our twitter feeds at @isalerts, @EdUniLibrary&Museums and @EdUniMainLib.
Help and support
- Coronavirus Updates - University page with the latest news about the institution's response to the COVID-19 pandemic
- EdHelp - For general queries about library services or any other student support
- Academic Support Librarians - For support with finding and using resources for research, teaching or study
- Resource Lists - For help with accessing and using resource lists
- Donations - For advice about donating materials to the library