Understanding the request options available
The library offers a request service for many of our items.
Who can request items?
- Any user who has borrowing rights from the library may request items that are on loan and items that are stored in the University Collections Facility (UCF).
- Edinburgh University students and staff (including NHS Lothian staff) may also request items that are available on the shelf in a library that provides a standard requesting service.
How does the item’s loan period affect requesting?
- Standard loan items may be requested at any time
- Short loan (1 week loan) items may be requested if the item is currently on loan
- Reserve (3 Hour Loan) items may not be requested
- Reference items may not be requested
Which libraries can I request from?
These libraries provide a standard requesting service:
- Main Library
- Art & Architecture
- Edinburgh College of Art
- Moray House
- Murray Library (King’s Buildings)
- New College
- Royal Infirmary
- Veterinary Library
- Western General Hospital
Additional requesting services are provided for:
- University Collections Facility (UCF)
- Centre for Research Collections (CRC)
- Main Library Closed Stack
Where can I collect the items I have requested?
You must specify the library that you will collect the item from when you place the request. Items may only be collected from one of the libraries shown listed in the online request form in DiscoverEd.
If the item is available on the shelf when you make the request you may collect it from any of the libraries marked "Y".
If the item is on loan when you make the request you may collect it from any library marked "*" or "Y".
If you are registered with disability services and have difficulty accessing the pickup libraries available for the item you need, please contact the helpdesk at any of the libraries shown above who may be able to arrange an alternative pickup location for you.
|Pickup Locations Available|
|Location of Item||A||B||C||D||E||F||G||H||I||J||K|
|B||Art & Architecture Library||*||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|C||Edinburgh College of Art Library||*||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|E||Moray House Library||*||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|F||Murray Library (King's Buildings)||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||*||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|G||New College Library||Y||*||Y||Y||Y|
|H||Royal Infirmary Library||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||*||Y||Y|
|I||Veterinary Library (Easter Bush)||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||*||Y|
|J||Western General Library||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||*|
|K||University Collections Facility||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|L||Centre for Research Collections||Items requested from the CRC are only available for consultation on the premises.|
How long will it take for the item to be available?
- If the item is shown as available we aim to have the item ready for collection from the library you have selected within 2 working days.
- If the item is on loan there is likely to be some delay while the item is returned so it may be a few days before the item is available.
- Look out for an e-mail informing you when the item is ready for collection.