Young Artivists - A Silver and Gold Arts Award Project
Are you between 11-18 years old and looking for a new activity to do? Why not join the University of Edinburgh and Stirling's Young Artivists project and learn new skills, make new friends and gain a Silver or Gold Arts Award Qualification?
For our Young Artivists programme, we'll be asking you to choose an issue that is important to you and make art about it! Whatever issue you choose (could be Climate Change, Black Lives Matter, LGBTQ+, anything you think is important to talk about), we'll help you investigate it in relation to our collections and come up with an artistic response in a medium of your choosing.
How can art help us to understand and raise awareness about these issues? From making art to exhibiting it and talking about, we'll work together with artists, students and art practitioners, to help you complete your projects.
Silver Award: 20th September 2021 - 31st January 2022
If you choose to do the Silver Arts Award, you will:
- Choose an art form that you want to get better at and work with your student mentor to complete your arts challenge
- Attend arts events (we hope to be able to do this in person), write reviews and share those reviews with others
- Meet people who work in the arts and ask them questions about thier work
- Learn about our collections and share what you've learned with others by giving a tour, talk or presentation
Gold Award: 20th September 2021 - 30th April 2022
If you choose to do the Gold Arts Award, as well as completing everything as above for the Silver Award, you will:
- Choose an arts issue and make an argument about it
- Do five days work experience with an arts organisation
- Organise an event where you share skills and then organise a display of what you've done
Each young person on the project will be allocated a current student as a mentor who will help you complete all your activities. You'll be put into groups and we'll hold weekly online meetings but we're also hoping to bring you to the Univerity campuses (Edinburgh and Stirling) to do some in person events.
This programme is a partnership project between the University of Edinburgh and the University of Stirling and is free for all to take part in. Please note, that due to our funding restrictions, we will prioritise applicants who meet the University's Widening Participation criteria or have taken part in our previous Arts Award Programme. You meet the Widening Participation criteria if any of the below apply to you:
- Live in an SIMD20 area
- Attend a SHEP School
- Are eligible for free school meals
- Are young carers
- Are care-experienced
- Come from a refugee/asylum seeking background
- Are estranged
Don't have an internet connection or a device to use? Get in touch with us on firstname.lastname@example.org to see how we can help. You can also email us on email@example.com if you have any other questions.
The deadline for signing up is Friday 10th September.