Appointment Regulations & Registration
Regulations for in-person and remote access to collections and services.
Membership of the University of Edinburgh Libraries
In addition to registering below, you must become a member of the University of Edinburgh libraries in order to access the building. If you are not a UofE staff or student or do not already have membership (e.g. alumni, Friends, NHS Lothian) please join as a Reference Reader. You must do this in advance of your visit.
At All Times
Service users and staff are expected to behave with dignity and respect in line with the University’s Policy. The CRC is dedicated to providing a welcoming and supportive environment for all people, regardless of background or identity. As such, in person or during any online communications or consultations we do not tolerate behaviour that is disrespectful to our staff or learners or that excludes, intimidates, or causes discomfort to others.
All users are expected to be abide by the University's health and safety procedures. These include following instructions from staff and informational signage. Any user who intentionally disregards these instructions will have their visit or online session suspended and will be asked to leave.
In Person Visits (Centre for Research Collections)
- Please report to the CRC reception desk where staff will check your reservation and registration. If you are not a member of the University, we will require you to show your photographic ID.
- Please place belongings in the lockers provided.
- You are welcome to take laptops / tablets / smartphone, pencils and notebooks into the Reading Room.
In the Reading Room
- The following items are prohibited in the reading room: bags, coats, umbrellas, pens, food, drink, scissors, correction fluid, post-it notes, sellotape, knives, lighters, matches.
- To help preserve the collections, readers are not permitted to remove any collection items from the Reading Room.
- If you require any assistance handling material, please ask a member of staff. In particular please do not fold, lean on, mark, disassemble or damage any items.
- Please use the book supports provided for reading bound volumes. If you are looking at original photographs, illuminated manuscripts or objects please use the gloves provided.
- Please keep items in order and help us by informing the invigilator on the desk if anything appears to be damaged, missing or out of place.
- Please return items to the invigilator if you are leaving the Reading Room and ask if you want them kept for your return.
- The Reading Room is designated for silent work; please use the Reception area for conversations.
- Many of our collections may be photographed, or can be scanned using our self-service facilities. Please ask staff for further information.
Before You Leave
If you require a return visit, but have not made an appointment for another day, please speak to a member of staff at the reception desk or in the reading room.
In Person Visits (School of Scottish Studies Archives)
- Please use the intercom to access the building.
- A member of staff will greet you. Please place belongings in the lockers provided.
- You are welcome to take laptops / tablets / smartphone, pencils and notebooks into the Search Room.
In the Search Room
- On site, staff will give an induction of how to use the finding aids and can discuss further access to listen to or consult material. We cannot currently offer listening or consultation of archive material on the premises, but this can be arranged either remotely or via in-person appointment at the Centre for Research Collections.
- Please see further information in this document:
Before You Leave
If you require a return visit, but have not made an appointment for another day, please speak to the member of staff present.
Before your Appointment
- Check that your microphone is working. A webcam is optional.
During your Appointment
- Let the member of staff know if you are having any technical difficulties.
- Do not record the meeting or take screen grabs.
- Let the member of staff know when you are ready to move on i.e. turn a page or move to the next item.
- Make notes of any specific pages you would like images of. Staff can take a reasonable number of medium quality images for research purposes. If you would like professional quality images for publication, the staff member will provide you with a quote (some time after the meeting) for digitisation services.