Museums Collections and Development
Museum Collections and Development staff work across the University to deliver collections management, curation and outreach activities.
Museum Collections and Development staff work across unit, section and University boundaries to deliver on strategic aims and objectives particularly around student, academic and public engagement (such as exhibition programmes, internships and volunteer programmes) as well as operational initiatives (including research access, repository management, standards compliance, and integrated disaster response and recovery).
Based in the Centre for Research Collections, members of the MCD work in a converged environment with Special Collections staff.
The following is an outline of the services provided:
- Professional support and guidance on collections management, stewardship issues, national management and metadata standards, fundraising and project management, policy matters.
- Academic liaison through support for the Collections Guardians Scheme and the Committee of Curators of University Collections.
- Teaching & Learning through the MSc ‘Working with Collections’course, museological training through internships (undergraduate and postgraduate), in-house training and facilitation of external training for interns, volunteers and staff.
- Practical support on exhibition design and installation, interpretation development.
- Fine Art Collection Services including the Picture Loan Scheme - dispersal of the Fine Art Collection for the enhancement of public and private spaces in the University.
- Management of information held on the Collections Audit.
- Point of contact for external enquirers and professional bodies (eg Museums Galleries Scotland)
- Partnership working with other university museums (eg through UMiS, University Museums in Scotland) and with the museums sector (eg through the East of Scotland Museums Partnership)
- Loans Services including requests for works to be loaned to exhibitions worldwide, management of long loans to National Galleries of Scotland, National Museums of Scotland and others
- Provision of images for reproduction