Treatments are carried out to address the physical and chemical effects of damage to the collection.
Treatments can include:
- We surface clean our collections to remove accumulated dirt that can be harmful to collection items
- Tear repair and infill of losses
- Tears and losses are repaired using Japanese papers and reversible adhesives such as wheat starch paste and gelatine, to prevent further damage occurring
- Humidification and flattening
- Documents with severe creasing and warping are humidified in a chamber and pressed to increase the legibility and accessibility of the items
- Paper items are washed to reduce discolouration and improve the flexibility of the sheet