Academic Support Librarians
Academic Support Librarians (ASLs) work in partnership with Schools and Colleges to understand their library needs and to communicate about library resources and services. ASLs help students develop the digital and information literacy skills to use library resources to get the best from their studies and research. Find out how we can help you.
- Advising you on resources for course development
- Arranging subject-specific information literacy sessions for Schools
- Acting as your advocate for all library-related issues
- Helping you find the information resources you need and making effective use of them
- Helping you get the best from library resources and services
- Helping you with reference management
- Providing specialist information literacy skills sessions for research students and staff
- Advising on your literature searches
- Working with you to ensure that Library collections are meeting your needs
Develop Information Literacy and Library Skills
Academic Support Librarians (ASLs) help students develop the digital and information literacy skills they need to use library resources for study and research. Find out about our online information literacy courses, LibSmart I and LibSmart II, as well as live bookable sessions and how to request bespoke teaching as part of course programmes.
Book a one-to-one librarian consultation
One-to-one librarian consultations for literature searching, referencing and systematic review advice
Develop your skills in using digital library resources with LibSmart
The LibSmart courses have been written by Academic Support Librarians to help you get the best out of using the Library. We support students to develop their digital and information literacy skills, including literature searching, avoiding plagiarism through appropriate citation and managing references. We also offer LibSmart II, for those wishing to further develop their skills in specific areas.
Academic Support Librarians by subject
Find the Academic Support Librarian assigned to your subject area and how to contact them.
The Library's Dissertation Festival brings together the support that the Library, Digital Skills and IAD provides for students undertaking their dissertations.
Resources and guidance
Subject guides, recordings and other resources to support your studies, research and teaching