Virtual Learning Environment (VLE): Blackboard Learn
Learn is our campus-wide VLE and will be the hub of teaching your course online.
Why use Learn VLE?
To host content and lectures, communicate with your students, have discussions, and even assess.
What do you need?
A computer, and an internet connection.
How do I access Learn?
Learn can by accessed via the MyEd portal.
What can you do in Learn VLE?
- Use the VLE to share resources with your students. Share what you think will generate learning. Be mindful of copyright if you are using other people’s materials
- Use the VLE to host your videos and recorded lectures.
- Use the VLE to communicate with your students using the announcements tool and discussion forums. Post prompts at regular intervals and get involved. No need to be online 24 hours a day but checking the course every day and posting demonstrates presence (which correlates well to student engagement). Collect common questions and answer them on the discussion boards rather than individually again and again.
- Choose resources from our excellent eResource collections – electronic books, electronic journals and database collections
Assignment submission and marking using Learn and Turnitin
Many courses across the institution are already working with electronic assignment submission, marking, and feedback. If your course is one of these, please continue as normal. If your course isn’t already doing electronic assessment visit the Assessment and feedback pages.
There is an accessibility statement for Learn and some advice for using it with assistive technology available.
It is important that the resources and content you share with your students is as accessible as it can be. There is an excellent resource called ‘Creating accessible materials’ which talks you through how to make sure your files/resources and other content are accessible.
Help and guidance
- Using Learn as a Teacher - this covers managing content, communicating with your students and assessment and feedback.
- Using Learn as a Student - support and information for students on how to use Learn to access course materials and information.
- Training events and guidance - step-by-step training guides and videos. Also training dates.
- Learning technology training and help resources - a comprehensive list of guidance and workbooks covering our learning technology tools.
- Top ten tips for using Learn discussion boards - some practical guidance on using discussion boards for asynchronous teaching.
Please get in touch if you have any questions.