Frequently Asked Questions
A collection of frequently asked questions for students
1. How can I control the notifications I receive from Top Hat?
By default, when you create your account on Top Hat, you are signed up to receive all notifications by email and SMS (if you have associated a mobile phone number with your account). However you can choose which notifications to receive and how to receive them.
To do this:
- On a PC, go to https://app-ca.tophat.com, choose the University of Edinburgh and log into Top Hat.
- Go to your account information - click on your name in the top right of the screen and select Account Settings.
- From the left hand menu, select Notifications.
- Choose which notifications to no longer receive by unchecking the appropriate boxes and clicking on Save Changes.
2. I am having trouble answering questions via the Top Hat app. Is there an alternative?
There have been some issues with using the Android app in particular - with a low connectivity warning displaying despite there being no issue with Wi-Fi availability.
Top Hat have addressed these issues and the experience should be much better now. However if you are experiencing issues using the app on your device, the advice is:
- try disconnecting from the Wi-Fi and reconnecting. Depending on when your Wi-Fi connection was enabled your device may be trying to connect to an access point that is no longer the optimal for your location.
- make sure that your app is up to date. Top Hat release updates to their apps on a regular basis so please ensure you are on the most recent version.
- use a web browser on your device instead. If your problems persist try using the web version of the app. You will not be able to access out of class activities but you will be able to take part in questions asked and discussions started in class. Open a web browser and login using the link below:
If you have tried all these and are still experiencing issues please let us know so that we can report the issues to Top Hat.
Please include the following details:
- Make and model of the device you are using
- Version of the operating system on your device
- Version of the app on your device
- The locations you are using the app - if you take part in sessions in more than one room is the problem the same or more prevalent in different locations?
3. Why I am seeing a 'Subscription Expired' message when I log into my Top Hat account?
Users with valid staff, student or visitor acounts at the University of Edinburgh should not see a subscription expired message - the University pays for a campus wide license so all staff and students should be able to create an account and access Top Hat freely.
There has been an issue with new students seeing this message if they had not enrolled on any courses when logged into Top Hat via the iOS app. This should now be resolved and students should not be seeing this message now. If you still have this issue please try the following:
- Ensure that you are running the latest version of the iOS app.
- Log in via a web browser and enrol on a course. If you do this successfully then, on returning to the app, the message should disappear.
If issues persist please contact us:
If you are having issues then you should still be able to access Top Hat using a web browser on your device:
- Go to the Top Hat web app: https://app-ca.tophat.com/
- Search for and select University of Edinburgh
- Log in with your university login