Quick start guide for setting up Zoom in Learn.
We advise that all users first sign into https://ed-ac-uk.zoom.us before beginning to use Zoom in Learn.
Having done this users will now be able to find and add your Zoom User account to their meetings as Alternative Hosts or co-hosts using your UUN@ed.ac.uk email address.
Using an email alias email address will result in the user being unable to access the meeting, or will display an error code on screen.
Additional Information and troubleshooting tips about University of Edinburgh Zoom Accounts are available.
We recommend that all users download and use the Zoom Desktop Client in order to have the best experience while using Zoom. The desktop client can be downloaded for Windows and macOS.
Desktop Client or Web Browser?
There are a few key differences between the desktop client and the web browser version of Zoom that users should be aware of before joining a meeting. Below is a small list of features that cannot be accessed via browser:
- Hosts cannot start or manage a poll in a browser.
- Users in the browser cannot self-select Breakout Rooms and will have to be manually allocated.
- Users or Hosts in a browser cannot share a whiteboard
- Users or Hosts in a browser cannot use Annotation tools
- Users in the browser cannot use a range of chat functions such as: emojis, star messages, view starred messages, save messages, edit messages.
- Got to the Learn course you want to add Zoom to.
- Click on books and tools in the details and actions menu on the left hand side of the page.
- Scroll down and click on the plus (+) on the zoom tile.
- This will add a link to Zoom at the bottom of your learn course.
- Click on this link to enter the Zoom scheduling page.
Scheduling a meeting via the Learn integration will only schedule the meeting for the course that you are in.
NOTE: Any students not enrolled in this course will not have this meeting added to their Zoom schedule, and will have to access via a guest link.
- Click on the Zoom tools link you created in Learn.
- Click on Schedule a new meeting in the top right-hand corner.
- Give the session a topic and set any date, or recurring session information.
- Add any Alternative Hosts via UUN@ed.ac.uk email addresses.
- Click Save.
If you still need help: