An introduction to accessibility in learning technology
Introducing accessibility legislation and outlining simple practical steps to increase the accessibility of your teaching.
An Introduction to Accessibility in Learning Technology is a resource designed for those who create:
- teaching materials for use in-class or online
- online environments for teaching (e.g. VLE, virtual classrooms, websites)
It introduces the accessibility legislation and outlines simple practical steps to increase the accessibility of your teaching that you could take immediately, whatever learning technology you choose to use. It is relevant to teaching in any discipline at any level.
Engaging with this resource should enable you to:
- identify the legal requirements regarding accessibility of teaching resources/environments and the University
- use manual checks and online tools to assess the accessibility of certain aspects (e.g. colour contrast, alt tags for images) of materials and environments, and take action to correct issues
- use advice to make virtual classroom sessions more accessible
- use advice to make your use of a VLE more accessible
- use the support available to subtitles videos
- name the other sources of support you can call upon
You may also find the following topics of interest for which training is also offered: