The LibSmart course has been written by Academic Support Librarians to help you get the best out of using the Library. We support students to develop their digital and information literacy skills, including literature searching, avoiding plagiarism through appropriate citation and managing references.
What is LibSmart?
A self-enrol Learn course to help you get started using library resources at the University, LibSmart is designed to be studied how and when it suits you. It has five modules that will take you step by step from starting to use the library to researching a topic for a report or essay. You can choose to work through every module or just the one or two most relevant to you.
You can revisit the course at any point during your studies, and use it as a hub of resources to support your personal and academic development. The content covers:
- Get started with accessing and using online library resources for your studies
- Explore and use key library resources appropriate to your discipline
- Find material for an essay or report on a topic
- Manage the information you’ve found and avoid information overload
- Use Library tools to develop good academic practice with citation and referencing
LibSmart includes reflective activities to get you thinking about your own skills, experiences and what you hope to achieve.
How do I enrol in LibSmart?
This is an online self-paced Learn course. To enrol, please follow these steps:
- Visit www.learn.ed.ac.uk
- Click on the Login to Learn button and enter your UUN (previously EASE) Login credentials if required.
- Click on Self-Enrol at the top right-hand side.
- Click on the Browse Course Catalogue button within the Course Catalogue section.
- In the Search Catalogue search box, type "libsmart” and click Go.
- To enrol, click on the down-pointing arrow next to the course title and choose Enrol.
- Click Submit followed by OK. You should now be able to view the course.
If you experience any access issues, please contact the IS Helpline at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want to speak to a member of the ASL team about LibSmart, training or any other matter you can find contact details for the Academic Support Librarian working with your subject area using the following link, or by submitting a request through EdHelp.