Wikimedian in Residence
The University of Edinburgh’s Wikimedia residency facilitates a sustainable relationship between the University and Wikimedia UK to the mutual benefit of both communities through improved open knowledge exchange. The work of the residency aligns with the University of Edinburgh’s Digital Skills Framework. You can book to attend upcoming workshops on MyEd or via the Wikimedia in Scotland page.
'Wikipedia is today the gateway through which millions of people now seek access to knowledge' - William Cronon
A linked open data repository for facts on the open web, including all the Wikimedia projects, that can be read and edited by humans and machines.
- Editing Wikidata
- Examples of Wikidata in action
- Map of Accused Witches in Scotland
- Mapping the Scottish Reformation
- Aberdeen Tower Block Archive added to Wikidata
- Quality Assurance and Reliability
Quick links, news and projects.
- Wikidata Map of Accused Witches
- Wikipedia turns 20 years old.
- Glaire Anderson describes how an experiment in using Wikipedia for learning became a highlight of the course.
- Science Is shaped by Wikipedia study finds.
- Stats about Wikipedia and Covid-19
- COVID-19 research in Wikipedia (2020).
- WHO join with Wikimedia to combat Covid-19 misinformation (NY Times).
- Wikipedia in the British Medical Journal – “Enriching Wikipedia content is, potentially, a powerful way to improve health literacy”.
The free, human-curated online library.
- What is Wikisource
- Interesting projects using Wikisource.
- Using Wikisource with Library and University Collections
“Libraries are about freedom. Freedom to read, freedom of ideas, freedom of communication. They are about education (which is not a process that finishes the day we leave school or university)... and about access to information.” - Neil Gaiman
A collection of free-to-use media files which anyone can contribute to.
- How to upload a media file to Commons.
- How to upload images in bulk.
- Copyright and Licensing.
- Historic Leith collection shared to Wikimedia Commons
- Wiki Loves Monuments (WLM) - a free annual international photographic competition to document cultural heritage.
There is common cause between Wikimedia and the University of Edinburgh in supporting equality, diversity and inclusion and promoting knowledge equity online.
Find more information on what a Wikimedian in Residence does and why this role is crucial to the University.
Blogs related to and exploring all things Wikipedia, Wikidata and Wikimedia related.