Thesis Hub: Producing your thesis or dissertation in Word
This online course uses LinkedIn Learning videos and lecture recordings to show you Word's features that are helpful when producing a long document such as a thesis or dissertation.
Thesis Hub course unavailable from Monday 11th September 2023
From Monday 11th September 2023, the 'Thesis Hub: Producing your thesis or dissertation in Word' self-enrol Learn course will no longer be available.
Alternative resources, including a workbook, videos and thesis templates, are available on the Digital Skills Team's Documents Catalogue. Students can also check Event Booking for scheduled course dates.
The course is divided into 6 sections:
- Before you start writing - The University's thesis regulations; Planning your document; Tips for backing up your work.
- Formatting your document - How to view non-printing characters; All about styles (applying, modifying and creating your own); The navigation pane; Numbered headings.
- Page layout - Changing page margins; Headers, footers and page numbers; All about section breaks; Creating a landscape page within your document; Double-sided printing.
- Adding content - Tables; Images; Captions; Track changes.
- References - How to add footnotes and endnotes; Cross-references; Advice about citing references.
- Bringing it all together - How to combine separate chapters into a single document; Inserting an automatic table of contents; Tables of figures and tables.
Producing a thesis or dissertation course Open Educational Resources
Although the live course is only available to staff and students at the University of Edinburgh, the course videos are Open Educational Resources and can be found on Open.Ed: