Thesis Hub: Producing your thesis or dissertation in Word
This online course uses LinkedIn Learning videos and lecture recordings to show you Word's features that are helpful when producing a long document such as a thesis or dissertation.
The course is divided into 6 sections:
- Before you start writing - The University's thesis regulations; Planning your document; Tips for backing up your work.
- Formatting your document - How to view non-printing characters; All about styles (applying, modifying and creating your own); The navigation pane; Numbered headings.
- Page layout - Changing page margins; Headers, footers and page numbers; All about section breaks; Creating a landscape page within your document; Double-sided printing.
- Adding content - Tables; Images; Captions; Track changes.
- References - How to add footnotes and endnotes; Cross-references; Advice about citing references.
- Bringing it all together - How to combine separate chapters into a single document; Inserting an automatic table of contents; Tables of figures and tables.
We have another self-enrol Learn course that may also be of interest: Choosing a reference manager.
Enrolling on the course
This is an online self-paced Learn course. To enrol, please follow these steps:
- Visit www.learn.ed.ac.uk
- Click on the Login with EASE button and enter your EASE credentials.
- Click on Self-Enrol at the top right-hand side.
- Click on the Browse Course Catalogue button within the Course Catalogue section.
- In the Search Catalogue search box, type “Thesis Hub” and click Go.
- To enrol, click on the down-pointing arrow next to the course title and choose Enrol.
- Click Submit followed by OK. You should now be able to view the course.
If you experience any access issues, please contact the IS Helpline at firstname.lastname@example.org.