Terms and conditions
By accepting the University card you agree to the following terms and conditions.
1. The card remains the property of the University. In the event of your withdrawal or exclusion from studies or the termination of your contract, the card must be returned to: Card Services Unit, IS User Services, Main Library, George Square, Edinburgh, EH8 9LJ
2. The card is for personal use only and is not transferable. You must not allow another person to use your card, or the facilities to which the card gives access. You must not, for example, allow anyone without a valid card to follow you into an access-controlled area.
3. The card serves as your official University Identity card and should be carried with you at all times on Campus and produced to confirm your identity at the request of an authorised person.
4. The barcode printed on the card is issued by the Library and its use is subject to any rules & regulations that the Library may impose.
5. The card uses microchip technology to provide entry to the Main Library and the magnetic stripe can be used for swipe access through other Library turnstiles. Staff and student cards also provide access to open access computer labs.
6. For entry to premises with card access, your card needs to be authorised by the School or College concerned before it will work at the door. Such authorisation is at the discretion of the School or College and is subject to any rules and regulations the School or College may impose.
7. The microchip within the card holds an electronic purse that can be used for cashless catering purchases at a range of Accommodation Services managed University catering outlets. Further information is available on the MyEd portal under the Services tab MyEd Portal
8. The expiry date on the card is an indicative date only. Your student or staff status (as determined by Human Resources or Student Records) is what determines access to systems and buildings - not the date on the card.
Loss or theft
You should report the loss or theft of your card immediately, either by visiting a Card help desk where they can issue you with a replacement or by contacting the IS Helpline so that your access control privileges can be cancelled.
The University will use information about you and your University Card usage for the following purposes: to administer access to our services and facilities; to compile statistics; to maintain our information systems; to support students' studies. If you have any queries about this, please contact the University's Data Protection Office at: