University card functions
Your University card provides identification, library membership, printing, cashless catering and building access.
Why you should carry your card at all times:
- The University card provides evidence of being a student or staff member at the University.
- Student cards contain your name, student number, examination number and indication of student status.
- Staff cards display your name and staff number.
- When applying for staff or student membership of the Centre for Sport and Exercise, your card will be required as proof of eligibility.
You will be asked to produce your University card:
- during all transactions with Student Administration and the Library.
- when requested by a University official while on University property.
- during examinations.
Library membership is automatically added to student cards. Staff members may have to validate their new University card at a library site.
Visitors automatically have access to library buildings but access to library services, such as borrowing, is determined by the visitor category under which you have been registered on the Visitor Registration System (VRS).
Your card is printed with your library membership number in barcode format. This barcode is used both by library Helpdesks and when using self-issue machines available within individual libraries.
Access to controlled areas
All University cards are pre-accredited to permit access to the Main Library, George Square and other 'open access' areas. For full details, see:
Cloud printing allows you to print from a range of printers across the University, either from a lab computer or your own machine. Using your University card, touch the card reader of any of the corresponding Xerox MFP printers displaying the cloud printing icon, and release your print job there and then for up to a period of 24 hours after sending it.
Cashless catering (UpayChilli)
UpayChilli, the University's cashless catering system, is an exclusive service for all staff and students that allows you to pay for a range of catering in University-managed outlets with your card or your mobile.