Web of Science
Web of Science is one of the bibliographic databases hosted by Web of Knowledge.
Why use it?
- Indexes over 180 veterinary medicine and animal science journals, and over 2,500 core medical journals.
- Science Citation Index covers over 5300 fully indexed journals, and Social Science Citation Index covers over 1700 fully indexed journals, both from a wide range of disciplines.
- Cited Reference Search: valuable research tool, allowing you to find articles which have cited a known reference.
- Related to the above, you can also see all references cited in articles.
- Simultaneous searching of Science Citation Index and Social Science Citation Index is good for public health topics and psychiatry or psychology.
- Short indexing delay: 2 to 4 weeks.
- Coverage comparatively long: from 1945.
- Well-written, context-sensitive help.
- Latest version now allows set searching and combining.
Bear in mind ...
- There is no controlled thesaurus: searches are free-text searches.
- Maximum search results viewable is 500 in Full Search (may be fewer depending on record size).
- Service can be slow at hours of peak use (10am-5pm).