New College library
This is an overview of access facilities at New College Library and how we assist disabled students with their studies. To arrange individual adjustments such as study rooms and reduced cost printing students should contact the Student Disability Service as soon as possible. Their contact details can be found at the bottom of this webpage. None of the services mentioned in this document are instead of support you may receive from the Student Disability Service.
New College Library is situated in the New College Quad. The library is located on the far left hand side of the quad (behind the statue of John Knox). The library is then on the first floor up a set of stairs. At present due to fire evacuation procedures there is no access for wheelchair users or those unable to evacuate using stairs in an emergency. We will ensure users have access to the same services by making adjustments such as having books moved elsewhere etc.
- The helpdesk has an induction loop installed.
- Coloured acetates, an A4 page magnifier and a portable desk lamp are available to borrow
- A library trolley can be borrowed if you find it difficult to carry books.
- All library documents are available in alternative formats upon request.
- Extended borrowing is available for disabled students and is arranged via the Student Disability Service.
- Books can be sent to the Main Library if this location is more accessible for you.
- Induction tours can also be arranged.
- Staff will be happy to assist you where practical in any way: such as finding and collecting books for you etc.
At present there is no accessible toilets in the building. There is an accessible toilet in the building opposite and staff will be happy to direct you.
- There is one PC with assistive technology installed on it on an electric height adjustable desk. It has installed ABBYY Finereader 11, Adobe Creative Cloud, Adobe Digital Editions, Zoomtext, Texthelp, a scanner. My reader and an ergonomic keyboard and marble mouse.
- A wrist support mouse mat and ergonomic mouse are available to borrow
- Mind mapping software and Texthelp Read and Write (converts text to speech) is available on all open access PCs
Furniture and study rooms
There is one adjustable height desk and staff will be happy to show you its location. There is one standing height desk at the far end of the library adjacent to the accessible computer. There are no rooms specifically for disabled students but disabled students may be eligible to use the accessible individual study rooms elsewhere in the University. To arrange this students should contact the Student Disability Service and their details are given at the bottom of this webpage.
If you require assistance to evacuate in an emergency you should ensure you have a PEEP/PEAP (Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan). To arrange a PEEP/PEAP for this building please contact your school for more information.
New College library
The New College Library website has information on opening hours and contact details.
Student Disability Service
Will provide advice and support for disabled students and students with specific learning difficulties (eg dyslexia).
Request an alternative format
If you require this document in an alternative format, please contact Viki Galt, Disability Information Officer.