Noreen and Kenneth Murray Library
This is an overview of access facilities at the Noreen and Kenneth Murray Library at King’s Buildings and how we assist disabled users.
The library is situated on the King’s Buildings Campus The building entrance has level access with an automated push button door . Disabled parking spaces are available to the left hand side of the building (closest to the Ann Walker building). All floors are accessible and can be reached by lift. The lift is wide enough to accommodate electric wheelchairs, and disabled users have priority access to the lifts. Maps can be sent out in advance and assistance dogs are welcome. If you are a student and wish to arrange individual adjustments such as study rooms and reduced cost printing you should contact the Student Disability Service as soon as possible. None of the services mentioned in this document are instead of support you may receive from the Student Disability Service. Their contact details and services can be found at the end of this document. If you are a staff member then you should contact your line manager or your local Human Resources department for individual adjustments
- The helpdesk on the first floor has a lowered section for wheelchairs and an induction loop installed
- Coloured acetates, portable desk lamps and an A4 page magnifier are available to borrow.
- All library documents are available in alternative formats upon request.
- A library trolley can be borrowed if you find it difficult to carry books.
- Extended borrowing is available for disabled students and is arranged via the Student Disability Service. Induction tours can be arranged.
- Staff will be happy to assist in whatever way you need such as helping with printers and photocopiers to collecting books etc.
Helpdesk opening hours can be found at:
Accessible toilets are available on all floors.
All open access PCs have mindmapping software and TextHelp Read and Write which converts text to speech.
- Accessible study rooms 1 and 2 on the first floor contain a range of assistive technology. If you are a student and wish to arrange access to these rooms please contact the Student Disability Service (details at end of leaflet). If you are a member of staff please contact Viki Galt (Disability Information Officer).
Furniture and study rooms
If you are a student you may be eligible to use the accessible individual study rooms on the 1st Floor. To arrange this students should contact the Student Disability Service (details at end of leaflet). There are 6 adjustable height desks with 2 of these desks on levels 1, 2 and 3. There is also one standing height desk located on level 2. Staff will be happy to show you their location.
If you require assistance to evacuate in an emergency you should ensure you have a PEEP (Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan). To arrange a PEEP for this building please contact your school or line manager for more information. If you are a visitor to the building and require assistance to evacuate in an emergency please inform a member of staff at the Reception Desk.
Noreen and Kenneth Murray Library
The Noreen and Kenneth Murray Library webpages have information on opening hours and contact details.
Student Disability Service
Will provide advice and support for disabled students and students with specific learning difficulties (eg dyslexia).
If you require this document in an alternative format such as Braille, large print etc, please contact Viki Galt.
BSL users can contact us via contactSCOTLAND-BSL, the on-line British Sign Language interpreting service. Find out more on the contactSCOTLAND website.