This is an overview of access facilities at the Law Library and how we assist disabled users.
The Law Library is situated on the lower ground floor, the ground floor and a mezzanine level within the School of Law. Access via stairs is available from the Old College Quad. If approaching from the Chambers Street entrance the library is the last door on the right hand side of the quad. If you are a wheelchair user you can access the library by going to the door on Chambers Street (across the road from Charles Stewart House) and press the intercom system which will connect you to the School of Law reception. If you are a regular user of the library and a wheelchair user we can arrange for you to have swipe access via this entrance. If your wheelchair is over 800mm wide please contact the Law Library to make arrangements. The library has a lift to all floors.
If you wish to visit the Law Library and wish to discuss accessibility please contact the Law Library Helpdesk.
- The helpdesk is at a lowered height and has an induction loop installed
- Coloured acetates, a portable desk lamp and an A4 page magnifier are available to borrow
- All library documents such as leaflets are available in alternative formats upon request.
- A library trolley can be borrowed if you find it difficult to carry books
- Extended borrowing is available for disabled students and is arranged via the Disability and Learning Support Service
- A book collection service is available and books can be sent to the Main Library if this location is more accessible for you.
- Induction tours can also be arranged
- Staff will be happy to assist you in any way: such as finding and collecting books for you etc
There is one accessible toilet on the Ground Floor next to the Library Helpdesk and one on the Lower Ground Floor which can be accessed using the lift next to the Library Helpdesk. On exiting the lift on the Lower Ground floor turn left and the accessible toilet is just on the opposite side of the corridor. Both toilets are right hand side transfer.
- Mind mapping software and TextHelp Read and Write are available on all computers.
Furniture and study rooms
There are no rooms specifically for disabled students but disabled students may be eligible to use the accessible individual study rooms in the Main Library in George Square. To arrange this students should contact the Disability and Learning Support Service and their details are given at the bottom of this webpage. There are two Group Study Rooms on the Mezzanine which are available through the room booking system. One room (00M.153) has a height adjustable desk and can be reached by using the lift located next to the Library. There is also a height adjustable desk on the ground floor just before the Senate Room and a standing height desk at the back right hand side of the Senate room.
If you require assistance to evacuate in an emergency you should ensure you have a PEEP/ PEAP (Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan). To arrange a (PEEP/PEAP) for this building please contact your school for more information.
The Law Library website has information on opening hours and contact details.
Disability and Learning Support Service
Will provide advice and support for disabled students and students with specific learning differences (e.g. dyslexia).
Request an alternative format
If you require this document in an alternative format please contact Viki Galt, Head of Disability Information
BSL users can contact us via Contact Scotland BSL, the on-line British Sign Language interpreting service. Find out more on the Contact Scotland BSL website.