Edinburgh College of Art library
This is an overview of access facilities at Edinburgh College of Art Library (ECA) and how we assist disabled users.
Access to Evolution House is via the main entrance on West Port from 9am-4.45pm Monday to Friday. From 4.45pm Monday to Thursday and all day at weekends access is via the swipe card door beside the West Port main entrance, using your University smartcard and your Card PIN. If you do not know your PIN this can be found on the Card PIN channel on MyEd. The library entrance is located on the first floor, but the Disability and Inclusive Learning Service. can arrange smartcard access to the ground floor if required. There is lift and stair access to the upper level. There is disabled parking in the ECA car park.
To arrange individual adjustments such as study rooms and reduced cost printing, students should contact the Disability and Learning Support Service as soon as possible. Their contact details can be found at the bottom of this webpage. None of the services mentioned in this document are instead of support you may receive from the Disability and Learning Support Service.
- The Helpdesk is wheelchair accessible and has an induction loop installed
- Coloured acetates, a portable desk lamp and an A4 page magnifier are available to borrow
- All library documents are available in alternative formats upon request.
- A library trolley can be borrowed if you find it difficult to carry books
- Extended borrowing is available for disabled students and is arranged via the Disability and Learning Support Service.
- A book collection service is available and books can be sent to the Main Library if this location is more accessible for you.
- Induction tours can also be arranged
- Staff will be happy to assist in whatever way you require such as helping with photocopiers, collecting books etc.
There are accessible toilets on both floors in the corridor outside the library. Both toilets are left hand side transfer.
- An ergonomic mouse and wrist support mouse mat are available to borrow.
- There is an accessible PC with scanner, manual adjustable height desk, marblemouse, ABBYY Finereader, ABBYY Creative Cloud, Adobe Digital Editions, MindGenius, Zoomtext and TextHelp Read and Write. The accessible PC is on the first floor opposite the Helpdesk.
Furniture and study rooms
There are no rooms specifically for disabled students but disabled students may be eligible to use the accessible individual study rooms in the Main Library in George Square and elsewhere across the University campus. To arrange this students should contact the Disability and Inclusive Learning Service and their contact details are provided at the bottom of this webpage.
There is a standing height desk located at the rear of the 1st floor and a manual adjustable height desk with accessible PC on the first floor opposite the Helpdesk.
If you require assistance to evacuate in an emergency you should ensure you have a PEEP (Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan). To arrange a personal emergency evacuation plan (PEEP) for this building please contact your school for more information. At present we ask that users who are unable to exit via the stairs in an emergency remain on the ground floor and first floor of the library to ensure safe egress.
Edinburgh College of Art Library
The Edinburgh College of Art Library webpage has information on opening hours and contact details.
Disability and Learning Support Service
Will provide advice and support for disabled students and students with specific learning differences (eg dyslexia).
If you require this document in an alternative format such as Braille, large print etc, please contact Viki Galt, Head of Disability Information.
BSL users can contact us via Contact Scotland BSL, the on-line British Sign Language interpreting service. Find out more on the Contact Scotland BSL website.