Disability Information Team
The role and contact details for the Disability Information Officer for Information Services.
The Disability Information team consists of The Disabiltiy Information Officer and the Deputy Disability Information Officer.
What the team does
The Information Services Disability Advisory Group was instrumental in creating the Disability Information Officer role in 2008. In 2019 the post of Deputy Disability Information Officer was created.
The Team's role includes:
- Helping Information Services meet its objectives as stated in the University's Equality and Diversity Strategy and Action Plan.
- Being the named point of contact for disabled students, staff and visitors facing challenges or wanting advice regarding anything Information Services offers or provides.
- Looking at Information Services' policies, practices and procedures to ensure they are as accessible as possible for disabled users.
- Maintaining a website of information and resources.
- Liaising with other key personnel across the University to ensure premises and services are as accessible as possible for disabled staff, students and members of the general public.
- Providing information on legislation and its practical implementation.
- Advising, informing and training staff regarding disability awareness and legislation.
- Training staff on how to manually test the accessibility of new software and hardware that Information Services has designed or is in the process of procuring.
- Training on preparing and writing Accessibility Statements
- Training on how to conduct and write Equality Impact Assessments (EqIAs).
- Training on physical buidling accessibility
- Bespoke training is available on request
- Central point for any accessibility queries
- Advice on legisaltion
- Reviewing documents for accessibility
- Reviewing accessibility statments
- Reviewing Eqaulity Impact Assessments
- Advising on assistive software and hardware
- Assisting IS staff with general disability/accessibility advice and guidance and assistance with reasonable adjustments.
- Reviewing buildings for accessibility and providing recommendations
- Testing digital accessibility of online high profile resources and systems
The Disability Information Officer is Viki Galt.
BSL users can contact me via Contact Scotland BSL, the on-line British Sign Language interpreting service. Find out more on the Contact Scotland BSL website.
Disability Advice for Students
For individual student adjustments please contact the Disability and Inclusive Learning Service.
- The University of Edinburgh
- Work: 0131 650 6828
- Email: email@example.com
- Web: Disability and Inclusive Learning Service
Disability and Inclusive Learning Service
University of Edinburgh
Health & Wellbeing Centre
7 Bristo Square
- Post Code
- EH8 9AL
Disability Advice for Staff
For individual staff adjustments please contact your line manager and/or the central Human Reosurces Disability email address:
A Staff Disability Computing Support service is also available
Request an alternative format
If you require this document in an alternative format please contact Viki Galt, Disability Information Officer, via the contact details provided above.