Instructions for configuring the built-in VPN client on your Apple Mac.
Create a new VPN connection
- Click the Apple menu and choose "System Preferences" and then "Network"
- Click on the plus sign at the bottom left. A small window will open.
- Select "VPN" from the "Interface".
- Select "L2TP over IPSec" from the "VPN Type".
- For "Service Name", enter e.g. "VPN-ED-IPSec".
- Click "Create" and the window will close.
Configure the VPN connection
- Select the new entry called VPN-ED-IPSec in the left hand of the screen
- For "Server Address" enter remote.net.ed.ac.uk
- For "Account Name" enter your UUN.
- For easy access to the VPN, ensure "Show VPN status in menu bar" is ticked.
- Now click "Authentication Settings..."
- Ensure "Password:" is selected, but leave the password field blank. You will be asked for your password when you connect to the VPN service.
- Ensure "Shared Secret:" is selected and enter Zt6337ZnVLhN as the shared secret.
- Leave the "Group Name:" box blank and click "OK".
- Click "Advanced..." on the Network screen
- Ensure the checkbox "Send all traffic over VPN connection" is ticked, then click "OK".
- Click "Apply" again to save the configuration.
Connect to the VPN service
To connect to the newly configured VPN service each time:
- Click the black VPN icon up near the clock and select "Connect VPN-ED-IPSec".
- Enter your VPN password and press "OK".
- The status should change from "Connecting..." to "Connected" when successful.
Disconnect from the VPN service
Disconnect from the University VPN service by clicking on the VPN icon in the menu bar and selecting "Disconnect VPN-ED-IPSec".
Need any help?
If you have problems establishing a VPN connection with the above settings, try changing the VPN Type from "L2TP over IPSec" set in step 2 of of Creating a New VPN Connection, to "Cisco IPSec" and set the Group Name to "Mac". Alternatively, please see: