Cloud Printing on Non-Supported Linux PCs
Printing to Cloud queues from Linux desktop or laptops via either the wired network or the secured eduroam wireless network.
This guide assumes that you have root privileges and that CUPS is installed on your local workstation. Tested on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, other Linux distributions may behave differently.
Check your local login name
Local login name must match your University Username (UUN)
To be able to release your print jobs at a Cloud enabled printer using your UoE staff card, you must submit jobs with the job ownership set to your UUN (University UserName), otherwise you will be unable to release the print job.
If your logged on user name does NOT match UUN then either:
1) change the logged on user name to match your UUN
2) Modify your bash profile to set your printer username to your UUN
to ~/.profile for bash
Logout and back in to make this available to all programs.
This guide assumes that you have the following available on your personal workstation:
- Root privileges to use sudo
- CUPS installed from your distribution's package manager
Install the print driver
- Open a Terminal and run the following commands to download and install the print driver
- sudo mkdir -p /usr/share/ppd/custom/Xerox/
- sudo wget -O /usr/share/ppd/custom/Xerox/x2UNIV.ppd http://www.servicedelivery.is.ed.ac.uk/xerox/x2UNIV.ppd
Add the Cloud-Colour queue
- lpadmin -p Cloud-Colour -v "lpd://is-ps-cloud1.is.ed.ac.uk/Cloud-Colour" -L "Cloud-Colour" -D "Cloud-Colour on is-ps-cloud1" -P "/usr/share/ppd/custom/Xerox/x2UNIV.ppd"
Configure the Cloud-Colour queue with the correct settings
- lpadmin -p Cloud-Colour -o printer-is-shared=false -o auth-info-required=none -o duplex=DuplexNoTumble -o PageSize=A4 -o JCLBanner=False -o Option4=None -o Option8=False
Enable the Cloud-Colour queue
- lpadmin -p Cloud-Colour -E
Add the Cloud-Mono queue
- lpadmin -p Cloud-Mono -v "lpd://is-ps-cloud1.is.ed.ac.uk/Cloud-Mono" -L "Cloud-Mono" -D "Cloud-Mono on is-ps-cloud1" -P "/usr/share/ppd/custom/Xerox/x2UNIV.ppd"
Configure the Cloud-Mono queue with the correct settings
- lpadmin -p Cloud-Mono -o printer-is-shared=false -o auth-info-required=none -o duplex=DuplexNoTumble -o PageSize=A4 -o JCLBanner=False -o Option4=None -o Option8=False -o JCLColorCorrection=BlackWhite -o JCLTrueGrayGraphics=True -o JCLPrintQuality=Standard -o MediaType=Standard
Enable the print queue
- lpadmin -p Cloud-Mono -E
Release print jobs
Print jobs are released from the Cloud printers in the same way for everyone. Remember that if you have not used Cloud printing previously, you will need to register your blue student/staff card the first time you swipe it at a Cloud printer. See 'Releasing a print job' on Cloud Printing for details.