Accessing the archive
The service is provided by an FTP service. The service is available at archive.ed.ac.uk.
The service is available at archive.ed.ac.uk. You may login to the service using your University Username and a special archive service password e.g.
shell$ ftp archive.ed.ac.uk
Connected to nashville.is.ed.ac.uk.
220- This is the University of Edinburgh Archive Service
Unauthorised access is a criminal offence under The Computer Misuse Act 1990.
If you are not an authorised user, logout NOW.
To be kept informed of system downtime and other alert information, please subscribe to the archive-alerts mailing list.
220 Archive Server Name (archive.ed.ac.uk:uun):
331 Password required for uun
230 User uun logged in
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files
Changing your archive service password
If you wish to change your archive service password, you can do so by making a telnet connection to archive.ed.ac.uk. Login with your University Username and current password and then run the passwd command. You will then be prompted to enter your new password twice. Please note that you must be connected to the university network either directly or VPN for this to work.
- will list the files in the current directory
- mkdir dir
- will create a new sub-directory called dir
- cd dir
- will change your current directory to the sub-directory dir
- get file
- will fetch the file named file from the archive to your desktop system
- put file
- will put the file called file on your local system and upload it to the current working directory on the archive