Portal Services Roadmap
This roadmap summarises how we plan to enhance and develop MyEd, the Notifications service, and the SMS service.
These 'portal services' seek to simplify life for University people (applicants, students, staff and alumni) through personal and timely access to the information and tools they need to perform academic, administrative and social tasks.
Our activities are organised into four strands which support our main objectives.
We aim to provide a personalised user experience, using "Just in time" contextual reminders and prompts, and targetted content based on user attributes.
Content is presented and organised in ways that make sense to end users. We use a mobile-first design approach to ensure that content can be easily accessed from any device.
We ensure our services align with wider university strategy, and take a sustainable approach for development, for example by delivering re-usable code, content and data, and contributing to open source initiatives.
We regularly maintain and update our applications, addressing technology and legislation compliance issues.
The list below shows changes and improvements that have already been implemented.
- Established governance processes for alerts and emergency communications
- Migrate the MyEd database to virtual infrastructure
- Updates to HR portlets to support People and Money project
- New Extensions and special circumstances portlet
- New guidance and support for the SMS service to support urgent communications relating to the Covid-19 pandemic
- Notifications for StaffMail migration communications
- Updates to portal content, including links to new SeatEd study space booking ready for start of term
September 2019-August 2020
- Updates to MyEd technical framework (uPortal, React)
- Implementation of Text Anywhere, a new SMS system to replace ConnectTxt
- Improvements to MyEd Favourites to offer additional personalisation and enable users to access the content they use most oftern as quickly and easily as possible
- Updates to the MyEd staff interface to make it quicker and easier for staff to find and access the tools and content they need
- Improvements to the interface for applicants who are also alumni
September 2018-August 2019
- Implementation of a new technical framework for MyEd
- Release of the Notifications service
- New design and interface for MyEd