Information Services

MyEd Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for using and setting up MyEd.


What is MyEd?

MyEd is the University of Edinburgh's gateway to web based services within and beyond the University. MyEd differs from a simple web page of links however, because it uses a combination of security, personalisation and customisation to offer more flexibility and integration.

MyEd uses the University single sign-on service, EASE, which allows you to access other EASE-authenticated services from within MyEd without having to re-enter your password. You will have to sign in again for services which do not use EASE.

Is a 'channel' the same thing as a 'portlet'?

Yes. In an older version of MyEd these were called 'channels', but they are now called 'portlets'. You will see both terms used interchangeably.

They both refer to the blocks of content which appear within MyEd.

Customising MyEd 

How do I customise my page layout?

Changing column number and widths

To change the column number or widths on a tab:

  1. Navigate to the tab that you wish to change.
  2. Click on 'Customise' in the top left corner (just under your 'Home' tab). The Customise pull-down menu will appear.
  3. Choose 'Layouts' from the list of options.
  4. You can then choose once of the pre-defined column layouts.

Changing the tab order

  1. Hover over move icon on the top-left corner of the tab that you wish to move. Your mouse pointer will change to a move indicator.
  2. Click and drag the tab into the new position.

Removing a tab

  1. Click on the tab that you wish to remove to navigate to this section.
  2. You should now see a small 'x' icon in the top-right corner of the tab. Click on this icon to remove the tab.
  3. You will be asked if you want to remove this tab. Click 'Ok' to confirm.

How do I customise the portlets that are shown to me?

Adding a portlet

  1. Click on 'Customise' in the top left corner (just under your 'Home' tab). The Customise pull-down menu will appear.
  2. 'Add Stuff' should be selected automatically. Simply start to type a portlet name in the search box and the list of portlets on the right will start to auto-filter.
  3. When you see the portlet you want click and hold on the portlet and drag to the page. You can also add portlets by hovering over them with your mouse, and then clicking the 'Add' button which appears.
  4. Alternatively if you want to use a portlet without adding it to your layout, choose the 'Use it' option, search, then click on the desired portlet to take you directly to this portlet.

Moving a portlet

Note that it is not possible to move all portlets. Some are locked into their current position - these portlets are shown with a lock icon on them.

  1. Click the 'Options' menu in the top-right corner of the portlet that you wish to move, and select 'Move this portlet'.
  2. A move arrow icon will appear to the left of the 'Options' menu.
  3. Click the move icon and drag the portlet into the position that you want.
  4. If you decide not to move the portlet, you can cancel the operation by clicking the 'Options' dropdown again and selecting 'Cancel move portlet'.

You can not drag & drop portlets between tabs, only within a tab. You must also log-out, before you close the browser, to permanently save any changes you've made to your layout.

Removing a portlet

Note that it is not possible to remove all portlets. Some are locked and cannot be removed.

  1. Click the 'Options' menu in the top-right corner of the portlet that you wish to move, and select 'Remove'.
  2. You will be asked to confirm that you want to remove the portlet. Click 'Ok' to remove the portlet.
  3. Once a portlet has been removed, it can be added back in later - see 'Adding a portlet' above.

How do I make MyEd more accessible?

You alter the appearance of MyEd to make it easier to read and navigate within your browser settings. A link for accessibility guidance is below.

Customising a website for accessibility

Issues with using MyEd 

For assistance using MyEd beyond what is covered on this page, contact IS Helpline:

Browser issues 

Links in MyEd don't open, or a pop-up window was blocked by the browser, what do I do?

Most web browsers have a pop-up blocker, which prevents websites from opening unwanted pop-up windows. Usually this is a good thing, but occasionally links in MyEd may be incorrectly blocked by your browsers' pop-up blocker.

If your browser is asking you to allow pop-ups from, then go ahead and set this to "allow".

You can also explicitly enable pop-ups for MyEd, or all University websites, in your browser:

  1. Find the "Pop-Ups" section in your browser settings or options menu. Specific browser help is available here.
  2. Add one of the following to the list of exceptions or allowed sites: - - allows MyEd to open pop-ups, * - allows all University of Edinburgh websites to open pop-ups (recommended)

Why doesn't my browser back button work?

Sometimes the browser back button will take you to a warning that the "page has expired".

This is normally because the portlet you are using is a self-contained application. Please use the navigation within MyEd to avoid this problem.

"This page contains both secure and non-secure items. Do you want to display the non-secure items?"

This is a browser controlled message that alerts you to the mixture of secure and non-secure items for a particular web page.

You can simply continue by clicking Yes to display both sets of items, or you can turn off the warning message.

Internet Explorer:

  1. Open Internet Explorer and select Tools > Internet Options
  2. Select the Security tab and click the Custom Level button
  3. Scroll down to the Miscellaneous section
  4. Under the Display mixed content option, select Enable
  5. Click OK
  6. Click OK

Chrome also displays a similar message at the top of the browser window: "This page has insecure content. Don't load or Load anyway". It is safe to click "Load anyway" within the MyEd portal, but there is no convenient method to turn this message off in Chrome.

Portlet issues

Portlet X has timed out, what do I do?

This is because each portlet has a timeout setting so that if one portlet is not working the other portlets should still appear.

  • When you see this message, firstly try to refresh the page.
  • If this does not work, try signing out and then signing in again.
  • If you continue to have problems, the associated service for this portlet may be down - see below.

Portlet X is not working, what do I do?

If any portlet is not working and it is either blank or an error message is being displayed, you should firstly check whether this may be due to scheduled maintenance work:

See the IS Alert Log for details of all events

To report a problem, please contact IS Helpline via the button above.

I can't find or add a portlet

If you want to use a portlet that is not on any of your tabs, you can add it to your layout using the Customise link.

If the portlet you want to use is not available for you to add to your layout with the Customise option, this means you do not have permission to use it.

Help using a portlet

If a portlet is working, but you just need some more information on how to use it, contact IS Helpline via the button above.

I can't log in to Staff Personal Details portlet

When you click the Launch Self-Service button in the Staff Personal portlet this will launch the Employee Self-Service application in a new window.

The Staff Personal portlet is not a reduced sign-on portlet, so you will need to enter a username and password again to use Self-Service.

Your username will be your UUN as it is for other applications.

If you do not know your password you should contact Human Resources.

Signing in to MyEd

What is my username?

Staff / Student Applicants / Student / Visitor

Your username will be your universal username (UUN) that you use to login to other services such as email (using the EASE authentication service).

For students, your UUN is always your matriculation number prefixed by the letter "s" e.g. s0912345.

If you are in any doubt about what your UUN is, please contact the IS Helpline for assistance.



Your username will be on the letter sent out to you from Development and Alumni Services. It will be in one of two formats:

  • s + 7 digit matriculation number e.g. s9876543
  • sa + 6 digit number e.g. sa987654

If you do not have the letter, and/or are unable to remember your username, please contact Development and Alumni Services by email:

Email Development and Alumni Services

How do I change my password?

MyEd uses the University single sign-on service EASE. Visit the EASE help section of the University website to reset your password.

I'm off-campus and cannot login to the applications that I require

Some University services are only accessible to users who are logged into a computer that on the University network. This is to prevent unauthorised access.

You can connect to the University network by using the VPN service.

VPN registration and setup

I can't log in because of a cookie error

Your browser is most likely set not to accept Cookies. Cookies are an essential component for portal authentication and can be activated within your browser settings.

How to enable cookies in your internet browser

I am unable to single-sign-on into portlets that previously worked without re-authentication.

This problem may arise if you log into a portlet via MyEd, then log out of this portlet, which then takes you through to the EASE logout page.

If you choose to entirely log out of EASE at this stage, the next time you try to use any EASE service (including single-sign-on portlets in MyEd) you will be asked to re-authenticate.

Put simply, if you plan to continue using MyEd, you should not fully log out of EASE until you have finished working or leave your desk.