Developing Your Data Skills Programme
Demystify data science with our new programme to develop your data skills.
The Developing Your Data Skills Programme is new from the Digital Skills and Training team, and aims to demystify data science and develop the data skills of our staff and students.
In an increasingly technical workplace, where digital transformation means our core services and systems are becoming fully digital, data skills play an increasingly important role for our staff, students and the organisation. The City Deal has also highlighted the need for data skills with plans to train 100,000 people in south east Scotland alone over the coming years.
What is the Developing Your Data Skills Programme?
- A flexible programme using online self-study resources combined with workshops plus a small data project.
- It runs over a six-month period (25-40 study hours).
- There are three sections:
- Introduction to Data Skills and Programming
- Statistics and Data Analysis
- Presenting Your Data
Who is it for?
Three capability pathways make the programme suitable for a variety of staff and students irrespective of their role and prior level of knowledge:
- Beginner (level 1) – for anyone who hasn’t worked with data before
Intermediate (level 2) – for those who use Excel routinely and feel comfortable with statistics
Advanced (level 3) – for those who have programmed in R or Python and are experienced in statistics and using Excel
How to sign up
Sign up through the Event Booking channel on MyEd. The next programmes start on:
- 8 January 2019 (for Library staff only) – email Tracy.Steinberg@ed.ac.uk to apply
- 15 January 2019 (for all staff) – book a place