Frequently asked questions on applying to the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh.
Standard entry requirement
The standard entry requirement is:
- SQA Highers: AAAA - AAAB (achievement by end of S5 preferred). BBB must be achieved in one year of S4-S6.
- A Levels: AAA - AAB.
- IB: 37 points with 666 at HL - 34 points with 655 at HL.
Minimum entry requirement
The minimum entry requirement for widening access applicants is:
- SQA Highers: AABB by end of S6. BBB must be achieved in one year of S4-S6.
- A Levels: ABB.
- IB: 32 points with 655 at HL.
The grades used to meet our entry requirements must include:
- SQA: Highers: Mathematics at A. Advanced Higher Mathematics is recommended. National 5s: English at C.
- A Levels: Mathematics at A. GCSEs: English at C or 4.
- IB: HL: Mathematics (from 2021, Mathematics: Analysis and approaches only) at 6. SL: English at 5.
We welcome applications from students studying a wide range of international qualifications.
We welcome applications from mature students and accept a range of qualifications.
Each case is dealt with on an individual basis, you should speak directly to the Undergraduate Admissions and Recruitment Team, College of Science and Engineering.
Still have a query?
Please contact our staff who will be happy to help