Informatics searching for a new Head of School
The School of Informatics is looking for an outstanding candidate with a strategic vision and the management skills to ensure that the School continues to build on its existing success and to steer a course through the many opportunities available.
The School of Informatics at The University of Edinburgh is a world-class centre for computer science, informatics research and education, and the leading institution in its field in the United Kingdom. We are experiencing a period of significant growth in both staff and students. This growth is just one driver of change, both internal to the University and externally.
Applications are now invited from academics of international standing for the position of Head of School.
Candidates will be expected to demonstrate an international research reputation, a commitment to teaching excellence and significant management experience. We are looking for individuals of exceptional calibre, able to provide both academic and executive leadership and to act as the external advocate of the School to a range of stakeholders, nationally and internationally. They will be committed to strengthening and further developing the School’s research activities; to maximising the quality and effectiveness of its teaching; and to broadening teaching activities through eLearning and online teaching.
The successful candidate will be appointed to an open-ended Professorial post within the School, and a five year term as Head of School.
Provide strategic leadership in all areas of School activity by articulating a clear vision, and responding to changes, opportunities and threats in the environment so as to further strengthen the School.
- Ensure that the management structure in the School is fit for purpose and that responsibilities and expectations are communicated, applied and monitored to optimise the use of all of the School’s resources. Ensure corrective action is taken where required.
- Continue to improve on the quality and quantity of research and development of research collaborations and partnerships within the College, wider University and externally.
- Foster and cultivate innovative delivery of teaching and learning activity for all students. Ensure that the highest standards of student satisfaction are attained across all areas of School activity and lead the development of the School’s online master’s programmes and use of eLearning technologies.
- Personally promote a positive, inclusive and collegiate environment and sense of community in the School in which individual members of the School are engaged and their contributions are encouraged and recognised.
- Lead and manage change ensuring that it is effectively communicated and resourced and that members of the School understand the need for the change and their role in achieving its aim.
- Provide strategic leadership in realising the School’s vision for new estate through fundraising and leadership of the School.
- Act as an advocate and ambassador for the School to develop the School’s presence and reputation nationally and internationally, with a view to growth in international students, collaborations with national and international partners, and collaboration with other parts of the University.
Head of School profile