Professor Till Bachmann
My laboratory is interested in diagnostics innovation in the context of targeted and effective antibiotic therapy
49 Little France Crescent
- Post Code
- EH16 6WA
Till Bachmann is the Deputy Head of Infection Medicine at the Deanery of Biomedical Sciences at Edinburgh Medical School, University of Edinburgh. Till has a PhD on biosensors from research at University of Stuttgart and the University of Tokyo and a German Habilitation in Analytical Biotechnology. He is an expert in point of care detection of infectious diseases and antimicrobial resistance, conducting research at the interface of biomarkers and rapid diagnostics including for COVID-19. Till is the coordinator of the UK-India project ‘DOSA - Diagnostics for One Health and User Driven Solutions for AMR’, and the JPIAMR-VRI Network AMR Dx Global, succeeding the JPIAMR Transnational Working Group on Rapid Diagnostic Tests. Till has extensive teaching leadership experience as is currently University of Edinburgh Director of Postgraduate Programmes at the Zhejiang University – University of Edinburgh Institute in China, as well as Programme Director of two PhD and one MSc Programme. Till is Editor of the journal JAC-Antimicrobial Resistance and fulfils a range of industrial and institutional advisory roles worldwide. As such he is vice-chair of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Joint Programming Initiative on Antimicrobial Resistance (JPIAMR), panel member for the Longitude Prize on Antibiotics, Scientific Advisory Board member of CARB-X (Combating Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria Biopharmaceutical Accelerator), of BIRAC (Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council) for Devices & Diagnostics under National Biopharma Mission of the Department of Biotechnology of the Indian Government, and the German Institute for Bioprocessing and Analytical Measurement Techniques.
- Zhejiang University – University of Edinburgh Dual PhD in Integrative Biomedical Sciences (UoE Programme Director)
- Online MSc Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (Programme Director, Course organiser)
- ‘Diagnostics and Therapeutics for Infectious Diseases’ Elective in Infectious Disease Honours (Deputy Course Organiser, Lectures)
- ‘Diagnostic Biochips’ in MSc Drug Discovery and Translational Biology (Lectures)
Our research focusses on rapid diagnostics at point of care to enable personalised approaches to medicine. This involves research on novel biosensors, molecular diagnostics, next generation sequencing and biomarkers as well as factors affecting the development and implementation of novel diagnostics. Our main target is the optimisation of antimicrobial therapy to reduce antimicrobial resistance and optimise patient outcome I a wide range of diseases and healthcare settings.
Additional information on AMR: AMR Cross-Council Initiative
Current Funding Sources
- UK Research and Innovation
- Joint Programming Imitative on Antimicrobial Resistance (JPIAMR)
- Rosetrees Trust
- Chief Scientist Office
- Dr Holger Schulze (Senior Research Fellow)
- Dr Appan Roy Choudhury (Postdoctoral Research Fellow)
- Abbie Gao (Technician)
- Marissa Millar (Administrative Co-ordinator)
- Marcin Kedziera (PhD CDT Biomedical Artificial Intelligence)
- Anagha Chandran (PhD Infection Medicine)
- Alexander Hunt (PhD Infection Medicine)
- Adil Muhammad (PhD Infection Medicine)
- Hamna Jamil (MSc BMS)
- Arnaud Plantenga (MSc BMS)
- Kayla Wang (MSc BMS)
Former Lab Members
We collaborate globally with excellent colleagues in academia, healthcare, industry and policy.
van Belkum A, Bachmann TT, Luedke G, Lisby G, Kahlmeter G, Mohess A, Becker K, Hays JP, Woodford N, Mitsakakis K, Moran-Gilad J, Vila J, Peter H, Rex J, Dunne WM on behalf of the JPIAMR AMR-RDT Working Group, Developmental roadmap for antimicrobial susceptibility testing systems, Nature Reviews Microbiology, accepted
Brennecke J, Kraut S, Zwadlo K, Gandi SK, Pritchard D, Templeton K, Bachmann TT, High yield extraction of E. coli RNA from human whole blood, J Med Microbiol. 2017 66:301-311
Ducrotoy M, Syed S, Bachmann TT, Antimicrobial resistance diagnostics - time to call in the young? Lancet Infect Dis 2016 May 16;5:519-21
Henihan G, Schulze H, Corrigan DK, Giraud G, Terry JG, Hardie A, Campbell CJ, Walton AJ, Crain J, Pethig R, Templeton KE, Mount AR, Bachmann TT, Label- and amplification-free electrochemical detection of bacterial ribosomal RNA, Biosens Bioelectron. 2016 Jul 15;81:487-94.
Huang MY, Henihan G, Macdonald D, Michalowski A, Templeton K, Gibb AP, Schulze H, Bachmann TT, Rapid electrochemical detection of New Delhi metallo-betalactamase genes to enable point of care testing of carbapenem resistant Enterobacteriaceae, Anal Chem. 2015 Aug 4;87(15):7738-45.
Gandi SK, Watson D, Kersaudy-Kerhoas M, Desmulliez MPY, Bachmann TT, Bridle H, Impact of microfluidic processing on bacterial ribonucleic acid expression Biomicrofluidics 2015 May 29;9(3):031102
Corrigan DK, Schulze H, Henihan G, Hardie A, Ciani I, Giraud G, Terry JG, Walton AJ, Pethig R, Ghazal P, Crain J, Campbell CJ, Templeton KE, Mount AR, Bachmann TT. Development of a PCR-free electrochemical point of care test for clinical detection of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Analyst. 2013 Nov 21;138(22):6997-7005.
Syed SN, Schulze H, Macdonald D, Crain J, Mount AR, Bachmann TT. Cyclic denaturation and renaturation of double-stranded DNA by redox-state switching of DNA intercalators. J Am Chem Soc. 2013 Apr 10;135(14):5399-407.
Peter H, Berggrav K, Thomas P, Pfeifer Y, Witte W, Templeton K, Bachmann TT. Direct detection and genotyping of Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemases from urine by use of a new DNA microarray test. J Clin Microbiol. 2012 Dec;50(12):3990-8.
Schulze H, Barl T, Vase H, Baier S, Thomas P, Giraud G, Crain J, Bachmann TT. Enzymatic on-chip enhancement for high resolution genotyping DNA microarrays. Anal Chem. 2012 Jun 5;84(11):5080-4
University of Edinburgh Roles
- AMR DxC, the Antimicrobial Resistance Diagnostics Challenge competition
- Global Health Academy (Steering Group Member)
- Edinburgh Infectious Diseases - EID (Executive Committee Member)
- Centre for Security Research - CeSeR (Steering Committee Member)
- Joint Programming Initiative on Antimicrobial Resistance Transnational Working Group on Rapid Diagnostic Tests (Coordinator)
- Longitude Prize (Advisory Panel Member)
- Longitude Prize Discovery award (Judging Panel Member)
- UK Five Year AMR Strategy Implementation Programme UK AMR Diagnostics Collaborative (Member)
- Indian Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council, Devices and Diagnostics Scientific Advisory Group (Member)
- EU Horizon Prize on better use of antibiotics (Jury Member)
- Royal Society of Biology (Elected Fellow)
- Hutman Diagnostics AG (Advisory Board Member)
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network (ITN-ETN) ‘New Diagnostics for Infectious Diseases’ (Scientific Advisory Board Member)
- Cambridge Healthtech Institute’s Molecular Diagnostics Europe (Scientific Advisory Board Member)
- Select Biosciences Ltd (Scientific Advisory Board Member)
- Deutsches Akademiker Netzwerk in Schottland (Co-Convener with German Consulate General in Edinburgh)