Dr Prasanth Manohar
My research is focusing on to characterize the bacteriophages for therapeutic purpose and to study the efficacy of phage therapy during treatment. And the interaction between human cells and phages needs further exploration.
- Completed PhD at Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore, India
- Former ‘Senior Research Fellow’ at Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR, GoI)
- ‘Young Scientist Award’ from INNO INDIGO projects (EU/India STI)
- Selected as one of the extraordinary ‘Young Scientists’ by European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ESCMID) for 30th ECCMID event
- Zhejiang Province [Department of Human Resource and Social Security] Post-doctoral Scientific Research Fund (Merit-based funding)
Antibiotic resistance is one of the global health problems with needs immediate attention. With the surge in antibiotic resistant infections, there is a need for alternative therapy. Bacteriophages are bacterial enemies that can be used to treat bacterial infections well-known as ‘phage therapy’. My research is focusing on to characterize the bacteriophages for therapeutic purpose and to study the efficacy of phage therapy during treatment. And the interaction between human cells and phages needs further exploration.
- Manohar P, Loh B, Nachimuthu R, Hua X, Welburn SC, Leptihn S. Secondary bacterial infections in patients with viral pneumoniae. Frontiers in Medicine, 7:420, 2020.
- Manohar P, Loh B, Athira S, Nachimuthu R, Hua X, Welburn SC, Leptihn C. Secondary bacterial infections during pulmonary viral diseases: Phage therapeutics as alternatives to antibiotics? Frontiers in Microbiology, 11, 1434, 2020.
- Sinha A, Eniyan K, Manohar P, Ramesh N, Bajpai U. Characterization and genome analysis of B1 sub-cluster mycobacteriophage PDRPxv. Virus Research, 197884, 2020.
- Manohar P and Ramesh N. Improved lyophilization conditions for long-term storage of bacteriophages. Scientific Reports, 9(1), 2019.
- Manohar P, Ashok J Tamhankar, Cecilia Stalsby Lundborg, Nachimuthu Ramesh. Therapeutic characterization and efficacy of bacteriophage cocktails infecting Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae and Enterobacter species. Frontiers in Microbiology, 10;574, 2019.
- Manohar P, Ashok J Tamhankar, Cecilia SL, Ramesh N. Isolation, characterization and in vivo efficacy of Escherichia phage myPSH1131. PLoS One,13(10): e0206278, 2018.
- Manohar P, Ramesh N, Bruno S Lopes. The therapeutic potential of bacteriophages targeting Gram-negative bacteria using Galleria mellonella infection model. BMC Microbiology, 18:97, 2018.
- Manohar P, Subramanian Babu, Bulent Bozdogan et al. Identification of blaDIM-1 metallo beta-lactamase in Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolated From Tamil Nadu, India. Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance,13, 7-8, 2018.
- Ravi A, Avershina E, Angell IL, Ludvigsen J, Manohar P, Padmanaban S, Nachimuthu R, Snipen L, Rudi K. Comparison of reduced metagenome and 16S rRNA gene sequencing for determination of genetic diversity and mother-child overlap of the gut associated microbiota. Journal of Microbiological Methods, 149:44-52, 2018.
- Manohar P, T Shanthini, Ramankannan A et al. The distribution of carbapenem- and colistin- resistance in Gram-negative bacteria from Tamil Nadu region in India. Journal of Medical Microbiology, 66, 874-883, 2017.