Dr Rebecca Sutherland
Dr Rebecca Sutherland is a Consultant in Infectious Diseases at the Western General Hospital, Edinburgh.
Rebecca graduated in Medicine (1999) and Immunology (1996) at the University of Edinburgh. She went on to complete higher specialist training in both Microbiology and Infectious Diseases in Oxford. During her time in Oxford she was an MRC fellow in the Department of Immunology, under the guidance of Professor Andrew McMichael, looking at the T cell responses to a target HIV vaccine. She was also clinician on the IAVI Oxford- Nairobi HIV vaccine trial.
Following a period of time as a medical officer in rural Kwa Zulu Natal, where she helped set up the first anti retroviral clinic in that area, she returned to gain her CCT in infection in 2012.
She is involved in infection rounds and antimicrobial stewardship rounds on both the Royal Infirmary and WGH sites. She is an active member of the Hepatitis C and HIV treatment team.
1. McCallum AD, Sutherland RK, Mackintosh CL. Improving antimicrobial prescribing:implementation of an antimicrobial IV-to-oral switch policy. 2013. The Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
2. Eyre DW, Mankia K, Sutherland R, Turner G, Conlon C. 2013. HIV-associated late seminal vesicle “BCGosis” following intravesical bacille Calmette-Guerin therapy. J Clin Urol 6:20-21.
3. Sutherland R, Russell KV, Trivedi P, Warren B, Richard W Smith, Conlon CP. A constricting differential- a case of severe anaemia, weight loss and pericarditis due to Tropheryma whipplei infection. Quarterly Journal Medicine March 2012
4. Guimaraes-Walker A, Mackie N, McCormack S, Hanke T, Schmidt C, Gilmour J, Barin B, McMichael A, Weber J, Legg K, Babiker A, Hayes P, Gotch F, Smith C, Dally L, Dorrell L, Cebere I, Kay R, Winstone N, Moore s, Goonetilleke N, Fast P; IAVI-006 Study GroupLessons from IAVI-006, a phase 1 clinical trail to evaluate the safety and immunogenicity of the pTHr.HIVA DNA and MVA.HIVA vaccines in a prime-boost strategy to induce HIV-1 specific T-cell responses in healthy volunteers. Vaccine 2008 Dec 2;26(51):66671-7
5. Sutherland R, Yang H, Scriba TJ, Ondondo B, Robinson N, Conlon C, Suttill A, McShane H, Fidler S, McMichael A, Dorrell L. Impaired IFN-gamma-secreting capacity in mycobacterial antigen specific CD4 T cells during chronic HIV-1 infection despite long term HAART. AIDS 2006 20(6);821-9
6. Sutherland R. A new dawn for antiretrovirals. BMJ 2005; 330:371
7. Kay R, Wee E.G-T, McMichael AJ. Vaccine for specific targets: HIV. Chapter in Novel Vaccine Strategies edited by Stefan HE Kaufmann, p505-528, 2006