A successful year for the IGMM
Directors and researchers can celebrate their achievements in 2014: December 2014
2014 has been a successful year for the Directors and researchers within the MRC Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine at the University of Edinburgh (IGMM).
- The College made three submissions to REF2014 - from Medicine, Veterinary Medicine and Neuroscience.
- Medicine, the University of Edinburgh’s largest submission, was ranked in the top 5 in the UK
- Veterinary Medicine came 1st in the UK, and retained its position as the UK’s top Vet School. It made a joint submission with Scotland’s Rural College (SRUC)
- Neuroscience was ranked 3rd in the UK out of 82 submissions, representing a major advance
- Overall, 84% of the College’s research activity was rated world leading or internationally excellent (3* and 4*)
- In terms of ‘one medicine’ research (human and animal medicine), the University of Edinburgh’s research power (quality x volume) is the strongest in the UK
- Clinical Medicine, comprising over 200 research staff predominantly from the Queen’s Medical Research Institute and the MRC Institute for Genetics and Molecular Medicine (IGMM), was ranked in the top 5 in the UK
- The College’s three REF submissions were the University’s largest and also were some of the largest REF submissions in the UK, emphasising the enormous power of Edinburgh’s research in human and animal medicine and health