Human Resources

Insurance & Health and Safety

This section provides information to ensure the appropriate insurance cover and health and safety is in place.

The University has insurance cover in place to cover staff, students and its activities with a worldwide jurisdiction.   However, there is a likelihood that the policies will not cover country specific requirements, therefore locally placed insurance policies will be required.  This will be arranged through the University’s Insurance Brokers and may attract an additional premium.  Where this is applicable, the cost will be met by the School/Department.

As part of the Working Abroad assessment, the team will seek advice from the University’s Insurance department.  If there is a particular matter the manager requires more detail on, please contact the Insurance Department:

Email Finance Helpline


There are a range of matters that the manager needs to consider prior to an individual undertaking any work abroad. These include: undertaking a general health and safety assessment (to ensure for example, that it would be safe for the individual to live and work in a particular country and the individual would have access to health care if needed).  You can find more information on the University's Business Travel webpage:

Business Travel