Human Resources


Each case of working abroad is a significant investment.

To protect the University and its employees, external professional advice is often required to comply with immigration, tax, social security and employment law in the host country. This may include recurrent costs of running an overseas payroll. In addition, in many countries, employer social security (national insurance) costs are higher than the UK.

It is crucial that advice from the relevant specialist section such as HR teams, Tax team, Pensions team, Insurance team is sought as early as possible to ensure that any specific considerations can be identified and acted upon in good time. The HR working abroad team will coordinate the advice required. If external advice is required, the team will source an estimated cost for you as the School or Department will bear the cost. The manager should ensure there is sufficient budget to meet the costs including employment law advice, financial advice, additional insurance, tax and social security obligations.