Human Resources

Additional information for undertaking right to work checks

This section provides information on situations/queries that might arise when undertaking a right to work check.

Can a prospective employee apply to have the right to work in the UK?

In some cases an individual can apply for permission to work in the UK.  As the University is a UKVI licensed sponsor for Tiers 2 and 5, if the individual and the role meet the UKVI requirements, the University can assign a Certificate of Sponsorship.  This allows the individual to apply for a visa to work in the UK.

Obtaining a visa to work

The individual presents a passport is in a different name to the one they wish to be known as. What can I do?

They must be able to explain and provide documentary evidence to explain the discrepancy and to show that they are known by the name given.  Examples include a birth certificate, marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate, change of name deed or other official documents.