Human Resources


Information for employees who wish to retire from the University

There is no set retirement age and it is your choice as to how long you wish to carry on working. If you wish to retire, it is your responsibility to let the University know. You should send written notice of retirement to your line manager, giving the notice specified in your Conditions of Service. You must also contact the University’s pensions department and give at least 3 months’ notice of your retirement date so that pension arrangements can be put in place for you. We recommend that you give the pensions department as much advance notice as possible to allow them to administer your retirement options.

For further information on accessing your pension following retirement, please visit the University’s Pensions/Retirement webpage.

Resignations of sponsored workers should be reported to HR immediately.

Conditions of Service

Pensions/Retirement webpage

Flexible Retirement Policy

Retirement Coaching Programme

Universities Retired Staff Association (URSA)

University Retired Staff Association






Physical health

Looking after your physical health as you get older is important. Retirement can compound some of the challenges and issues you may face as your routine has changed and your free time is increased.


Physical activity guidelines for older adults - NHS (

Looking after your physical health | The University of Edinburgh

Mental Health

Transitioning into retirement can be an emotional process, expect to go through stages but it is not always a linear journey. There are lots of resources available to support you during this.

Older people and mental health | Age Scotland (

Home - Mind 

Staff Health and Wellbeing Hub | The University of Edinburgh

Maintaining social networks


Relationships are a key part of good mental health. As well as offering emotional support as you experience a major life transition, friendships provide a sense of purpose and identity and will play a significant role as you move forward in your retirement.

u3a - Home

Universities Retired Staff Association | The University of Edinburgh

Volunteer Scotland

Meetup - We are what we do

Further reading


Centre for Ageing Better | The State of Ageing 2022

Dr. Riley Moynes: 4 Phases of Retirement...and the Psychological Challenges | TED Talk

Brendan Murray: Retirement: from foreboding to fulfilment

Planning and preparing for retirement | Age UK

Academics Retiring, Scunnered or Otherwise